X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Day plaid"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Day plaid"?

Hi guys. I searched for a few threads on plaids and where the right time and place is for one. I was struck by a lot of people saying "even a Prince Charlie isnt formal enough for one"! I was actually just about to buy one - as there are a few black tie events coming up on my callendar and the most formal jacket I have is a Prince Charlie... should I scrap the idea?

I also found a lot of mention of a plaid to wear over the shoulder unbrooched with daywear. Does anyone have information and/or pictures of this?
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you're referring to is also known as a "laird's plaid". It's a large piece of tartan folded into a rectangle and laid over the shoulder, as if the wearer were looking for a place to have a picnic.
    If you want a real plaid for day- or evening-wear, you might want to check out Matt Newsome's blog post about half-plaids.
    http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/search/label/plaid
    It's essentially a couple of yards of double-width tartan with belt loops or a long hem at one end, throuygh which your belt goes and fastens around your waist. The length of the plaid then comes up over your shoulder and pins to your jacket.
    I hope this helps.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I would not bother with a plaid, save your money. For evening wear they just look too much and get in the way. A day plaid, or Lairds plaid as it seems to be known here, is at least useful in our Scottish weather, but I have always found them nothing but a damn nuisance, they are the very devil to keep in position. I have wondered if a couple of strips of Velcro might solve that problem though. There was a long running thread about all this some time ago and there were some good pictures of the day plaid being carried. The choice is yours, but if it were me, I would buy an Inverness cape instead.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th October 09 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing a plaid with a PC is a personal choice Paul and it is formal enough to support it.

Depends on the black tie event I suppose but I wore one for my cruise formal night and it went down well.

Can't really comment on day plaids, never seen them worn except in old royal pictures.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally feel that a PC is formal enough for one but they are a pain. I wore one to a friends wedding and to keep it from sloppily pulling my jacket away from my shoulders I had to use a multitude of safty pins. I finally discontinued its use and am having the two yards of tartan cut into waistcoats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys. I have previously tried on a fly plaid and it felt like it got in the way a little bit when sitting... but otherwise it was fine - as it stayed at the back of me.
    The Matt Newsome blog input was a good help... that plaid looks really good. Could that be worn with a PC? (I realise you can't wear a belt with the PC but I'm sure there's another way!)
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the PC is formal enough it's just whether you like them or not. I think they are a wee bit over the top, but then again I went out and bought a Montrose Doublet so you can't always trust me on what's too over the top.

As for the Day Plaid as I understand it they were more popular in an earlier time, I did get a photo of myself wearing a piece of tartan over my shoulder just to see what it would look like, I found it cumbersome and costume like. I doubt very much I would ever do it again, though it may look the biz at a games somewhere, in real life it is simply a nuisance. I would just go out and get a Inverness Cape and be done with it. Here are some photos for you though:

And here is my attempt at the the same:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty good... would be little annoying though, right?
    I supposed you could pin the bottom layers to your jacket a couple of times - which wouldnt be visible but would keep the fabric up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Looks pretty good... would be little annoying though, right?
    I supposed you could pin the bottom layers to your jacket a couple of times - which wouldnt be visible but would keep the fabric up.
    But the whole idea is that this type of plaid has practical purpose(s), and pinning it to your jacket seems in direct opposition to that.

"Just a moment, dear, while I struggle with these pins -- yes, I know you're getting cold, just hang on there a bit longer, almost got it. . ."
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea that it could actually be used practically. I'm thinking of it being worn when out for a hike. It's a warming layer, it's raingear, it's a picnic blanket, it's a tent...it's probably just damn bloody inconvenient...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast