X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Andrews Day in Glasgow, Edinburgh & Dumfries

Hi guys. I just watch the Scottish Goverment's video about plans in Edinburgh for St. Andrews day. It seems that there's quite a lot of small events on for free around the capital.
    I'll be in Glasgow for a bit then I'm going through to Edinburgh. I'll then be heading down to Dumfries in the evening - where I will be meeting cessna152towser for what should be a good wee pub crawl
    There's also a "St Andrew’s ‘DO’ Ceilidh – Sun 29 Nov, 7pm-midnight" which sounds like fun. I have uni the next day in Glasgow, however (and pretty easly as well!). Myself and my girlfriend Laura may well attend if we're feeling brave enough after a weekend of walking, walking, walking and drinking!
    Sadly I'm not sure if I'll make it back for the massed pipes & drums on the Royal Mile at 2pm on Sunday

If anyones going to be in Glasgow or Edinburgh during the day; or Dumfries in the evening (and over the weekend) and would fancy a meetup with myself and a few other Xmarkers then feel free!

P.S. more info here:
    www.scotland.org/standrewsday/around-scotland
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing the programmes for both Dumfries and Edinburgh, Sunday 29th looks like the best day in both places, and we can't be two places at once.
    The big day in Dumfries is going to be the Sunday, with the world's largest ever Scottish Reel being held between 12 and 5 in the afternoon, the Red Hot Chilli Pipers performing at 4pm and the switch on of the Dumfries Christmas lights at 5pm.
    I am booked into Ferintosh from Friday evening till Sunday morning, will probably tour the live music in the Dumfries pubs on the Friday and Saturday evenings and stay around Dumfries till around 5pm on the Sunday. Haven't yet decided whether to go to Edinburgh on the Monday, 30th, I might march up the Royal Mile if anyone will join me, and then go and see the fireworks display afterwards.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to work out the dates in my hectic schedule to get up to Dumfries for that weekend but unfortunately I can't make it happen. Love to be there, sounds like a right good doo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be worth going to http://www.standrewsdayrally.com/ ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link Lammy.
    If it had actually been taking place on St. Andrews' Day, Monday 30th, I would probably have gone along, but I already have plans to be in Dumfries on the Saturday.
    I would have thought there would be more going on in Edinburgh on the Monday when it is a public holiday.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah!
    I'm missing so much in Edinburgh over the weekend. I'm sure I'll have a great time in Dumfries, though!
    Thanks for the info Alex... and John, you should abandon all plans for St. Andrew
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Andrews Day

I shall certainly be attending the Edinburgh the rally in Edinburgh and matching the massedpipe bands. Any else from Edinburgh going - fancy meeting up ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acaig View Post
    I shall certainly be attending the Edinburgh the rally in Edinburgh and matching the massedpipe bands. Any else from Edinburgh going - fancy meeting up ?
    I dont think I'll make it back in time, sadly.

By the way - I saw some yellow hose when buying some purple hose at Sloane's Market in Glasgow... obviously I thought of you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Andrews Day

Paul, thanks for thinking of me !!

I am having great difficulty in finding some yellow hose - are you able to give me full details of where you saw them. Thanks.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan,

Yellow hose is available from here (at a price!):

http://www.almostunwearoutable.co.uk...Stockings.html

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast