X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

happy remembrance day

...yeah, i know, kinda short notice...I will be at the Oak Bay Mother's Memorial (cattle point) tomorrow...hope some of my fellow kilties will show up at their various cenotaphs...remember...scotland (and canada) the brave...beers at the penny farthing to follow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Happy Poppy Day"? You should rethink your title, and really think about why you would call Rememberance Day that.

Frank

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    "Happy Poppy Day"? You should rethink your title, and really think about why you would call Rememberance Day that.

Frank
    I can't help but agree with you. Nevertheless, let's be charitable and give the fellow the benifit of the doubt and assume his statement was meant with the best of intentions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    point taken...truth be known, I wasn't sure how to spell "rememberance" (remembrance,rememberanse etc,)...my grandfather served...my pop served...I served...my wife served...my son served (C Scot R's)...I'm mighty proud...sorry 'bout the shitty title...

Scot

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have changed the title for the OP. But before any others take apparent offense, Remembrance Day (or Armistice Day for some) is observed in the UK and many Commonwealth countries by a poppy appeal by the returned services organizations. Poppies are sold starting several weeks before the event. Thus the day is often informally referred to as Poppy Day, not as a mark of disrespect but as a remembrance of the fields of poppies in Flanders and the numbers of soldiers decimated by the trench warfare of WW1.

Brian
    Last edited by BEEDEE; 11th November 09 at 01:07 PM.

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEDEE View Post
    I have changed the title for the OP. But before any others take apparent offense, Remembrance Day (or Armistice Day for some) is celebrated in the UK and many commonwealth countries by a poppy appeal by the returned services organizations. Poppies are sold starting several weeks before the event. Thus the day is often informally referred to as Poppy Day, not as a mark of disrespect but as a remembrance of the fields of poppies in Flanders and the numbers of soldiers decimated by the trench warfare of WW1.

Brian
    I remember small paper poppies that we wore as kids in the U.S., too... I don't remember if they were given to us at school or if they came via the base (we're Army brats). It's been years since I've seen any here, though, but the poppy will always be a strong association with this day for me... that and my Dad's recitation to us of "In Flanders Field".

Remembering today, all those who fought and all those who fell.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEDEE View Post
    I have changed the title for the OP. But before any others take apparent offense, Remembrance Day (or Armistice Day for some) is celebrated in the UK and many commonwealth countries by a poppy appeal by the returned services organizations. Poppies are sold starting several weeks before the event. Thus the day is often informally referred to as Poppy Day, not as a mark of disrespect but as a remembrance of the fields of poppies in Flanders and the numbers of soldiers decimated by the trench warfare of WW1.

Brian
    Just to explain and not make an issue out of this. It is the word "Happy" that I am uncomfortable with as is, I suspect, Highland Logan. "The Day", Poppy Day, Remembrance Day is almost a sombre day for us, not unhappy, but happy would not be a word used to describe the occasion. My family, for instance, remember a nephew killed on the first day of the second Iraq War, an Uncle killed flying a Hurricane in the Battle of Britain, 11 assorted relatives killed in WW1, and I could go on. So for us in the UK and the Commonwealth "Happy" does not describe the day. Pride yes, wonder at the suffering yes, recognizing sacrifice yes, thanks yes, happy no.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th November 09 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just to explain and not make an issue out of this. It is the word "Happy" that I am uncomfortable with as is, I suspect, Highland Logan. "The Day", Poppy Day, Remembrance Day is almost a sombre day for us, not unhappy, but happy would not be a word used to describe the occasion. My family, for instance, remember a nephew killed on the first day of the second Iraq War, an Uncle killed flying a Hurricane in the Battle of Britain, 11 assorted relatives killed in WW1, and I could go on. So for us in the UK and the Commonwealth "Happy" does not describe the day. Pride yes, wonder at the suffering yes, recognizing sacrifice yes, thanks yes, happy no.
    I could not agree more Jock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am HAPPY that I've had my freedom preserved by many brave souls who went before me...they would want me to be HAPPY...they would also want me to REMEMBER...as for the rest of you nit-picking weenies...over and out

Scot

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im appaled..... "happy" rememberance day ? its a day of mourning and reflection. however as you say in a world of freedoms won by the brave souls you have the right to be happy, even if it bafflingly so to most folk.

nit-picking weenie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast