X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

Comfort and real easy to put on and go.
    Every time I see this picture I think how magnificent it is. I'm assuming that's the Isle of Skye tartan? And did you simply buy a length of tartan from somewhere to achieve this?

Would anyone mind posting some measurements of length and width for the material they are using?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieKerr View Post
    Every time I see this picture I think how magnificent it is. I'm assuming that's the Isle of Skye tartan? And did you simply buy a length of tartan from somewhere to achieve this?

Would anyone mind posting some measurements of length and width for the material they are using?
    I believe that it's the Albannach tartan from USA Kilts.

My BP is about 54 inches wide, by 5 yards of Celtic Croft's homespun fabric. It's not quite wide enough to make a hood from the fabric in back (I'm just under 6 feet height), but otherwise works fairly well.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

I am afraid I am unable to oblige with a photo. Some nine years ago, I acquired a 'Great Kilt' ............. but wore it only once, and that was at home in front of a full-length mirror. When I saw what an utter idiot I looked whilst wearing it, I vowed never again to wrap myself in it.

Instead, I cut the fabric in half, and had a wearable kilt (No.25 in The Kollection) made up from one piece:

http://www.kiltedhamish.net/gallery/...g2_itemId=1077

The other half was used for my one and only attempt at making a kilt myself, which was a total disaster and was subsequently discarded.

I am not into ren faires or re-enactment groups in any way, shape or form and so, in reality, a 'Great Kilt' has no place in my own life. Others, you certainly included, can look absolutely fine in this style but, as I see it, this is a prime example of the kilt being a costume rather than a practical garment.

Definitely not for me - sorry!

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

Instead, I cut the fabric in half, and had a wearable kilt garment.
    I did the same thing as Ham -- with the same tartan, as it happens -- after fighting with far too many yards of cloth, so heavy and bulky that it was more of a nuisance than an adornment. One thing I found particularly annoying was the way the weight of the part attached to my shoulder dragged my shirt down my back, pulling it quite out of shape if unbuttoned or strangling me if buttoned up.

Here I am wearing it to attack a haggis:
     (the pic has not appeared; it can be seen on Facebook : <http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30066940&id=1148417040>

Later, I too had half the cloth made into a tailored kilt, while the rest I have sometimes worn draped round my shoulders to look as if I were wearing a great kilt; this to show off when MC-ing a ceilidh. The cloak part is then discarded as the evening warms up.

Martin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinGrenoble View Post
    [I]I did the same thing as Ham -- with the same tartan, as it happens -- after fighting with far too many yards of cloth, ... Later, I too had half the cloth made into a tailored kilt,
    Martin, it sounds as though you and Hamish had too much fabric. 4 or 5 double-width yards is about average. If you were trying to work with 7 or 8 yards, then I'm not surprised if it was unwieldy.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluter View Post
    Martin, it sounds as though you and Hamish had too much fabric. 4 or 5 double-width yards is about average. If you were trying to work with 7 or 8 yards, then I'm not surprised if it was unwieldy.
    My first attempt was using almost 7 1/2 yards of material and I felt like I was "drowning in tartan"

Cheers

Jamie :ootd:
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting to note that in the early decades of the tailored "little kilt" it was considered a working garment. It was indeed "fatigue" dress in the highland regiments. The belted plaid was the more formal, "dressier" item of highland garb.
    Now it's been largely relegated to costume status, though it certainly can still work quite well for formal occasions, as Mr. Killman's photo shows. I believe Matt Newsome also has some pics showing the belted plaid looking great in a "modern" context....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluter View Post
    Mine was 6 yards, double-width, 13oz. However, it was not the weight or bulk that worried me but the overall appearance. At the time of ordering, I thought I would be the absolute bee's knees when wearing it - unfortunately, in reality, I was not even close to the gnat's knees!

No offence is intended but I am sorry I do not really think these look 'right' or are flattering to anyone (especially me) unless they are an extra in 'Brigadoon' or 'Braveheart', or are taking part in an historical pageant. Accessories such as modern haircuts, reading glasses and watches do nothing to improve matters either!

Oooops! Now I probably have offended some of my good friends here!

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence is intended but I am sorry I do not really think these look 'right' or are flattering to anyone (especially me) unless they are an extra in 'Brigadoon' or 'Braveheart', or are taking part in an historical pageant. Accessories such as modern haircuts, reading glasses and watches do nothing to improve matters either!

Oooops! Now I probably have offended some of my good friends here!

Take care,
    Ham.
    my thoughts exactly Hamish, I am glad you voiced them, or I might have been accused of being rude again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time of ordering, I thought I would be the absolute bee's knees when wearing it - unfortunately, in reality, I was not even close to the gnat's knees!

Snap !

We obviously thought -- and think -- along the same lines, Ham.

Martin

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast