X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The power of the kilt....

I don't normally post these, but was so surprised I needed to share....
    A friend of mine is a Bass player in a cover band and had a show on Saturday night. I had never had the opportunity to see him lay before and the wife and I managed to secure a babysitter for the evening so we decided to make a night of it. As usual when going out on the town I wore kilt. No pictures, but I was wearing my Ferguson Tartan Sport Kilt with a Stillwater Kilts plain black sporran, dark red long sleeve button down with the sleeves rolled up, beige/brown waistcoat and Doc Martin boots. Very casual if I do say, but I was going to a concert. The venue was really not what I was expecting and I stood out a little more than normal in the kilt. The club looked like something out of a really bad 80's movie with a majority of the patrons appearing like they were extras in a Twisted Sister video. Towards the end of the first set a lovely young lady approached me and tapped me on the shoulder. Now based on previous experience I was expecting "the question" or some variation but instead she said "I just wanted to tell you that you look fantastic". I was a little stunned as I have not had a stranger say that to me...well ever. She then proceeded to inform me that her shy friend would be very interested in talking to me, of course I thanked her again for the compliment and informed her that my wife (who was standing right next to me this whole time) probably would not approve. She apologized to my wife and me, again complimented the kilt and politely excused herself.

A very nice and VERY unexpected experience given the venue and crowd. Just goes to show that you never really know what kind of reaction you will get, but in my experience they are almost all positive.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great encounter! Must have made you feel terrific.
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, a very pleasant encounter... LOL.. and its a nice ego boost, lol.. I am glad you had a good time..
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice surprise. How was your friend's band?
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was actually a pretty good show, looking forward to the next one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many women do know quality when they see it!
    [I]When God created men, he made the intelligent ones kilted so women could tell just by looking.[/I]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also serves to boost the ego of your wife for you to "stand by he" when approached. Kudos.

Ironically, my wife has only one objection to my kilting up. She says that she does not like the attention drawn to us a a couple when I am kilted. She feels like she is being watched as well. I explained to her that that is just because the others are jealous that she has me. She should be proud. I am proud of her.
    Loyalty, Friendship, and Love....The Definition of family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as long as we're sharing...

I wore the tank out last week, rather informal- black oxfords, blue hose, plain black sporran and a dark red sweater.
    While running errands, I had to stop by a hospital to pick up some paperwork. Got quite a few looks, and a handful of comments- all positive.
    As I was heading out, a very attractive young redheaded lass saw me, and said "Oh my God! Is that a kilt? That's awesome!" I smiled and said "thanks", and continued on.
    A moment later, she came back and said "I just want to ask, um, if you don't mind, why are you wearing a kilt?" Now, I have any number of snarky comebacks ready, but I was unprepared for a polite question from an attractive gal (it should be noted that not only am I in New Jersey, where our major export is rudeness, but I'm 41 years old, 5'4" tall, and stocky. Women do NOT talk to me! ;) Mrs Smitty is OK with this)
    I replied, "Um, well...because I can". She responded "Wow, that's so cool! I love you!", and went on her way.

Only took a few seconds, but we made each other's day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These types of encounters are priceless.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.