X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homecoming Scotland 2009 Finale - Dumfries and Edinburgh

Lots going on in Scotland over the weekend, to mark St. Andrews weekend and the finale of the ten month Homecoming Scotland 2009 events.
    After a meal in Cavens and some live music in the Coach and Horses on Friday night here is a photo with a North American flavour taken in the Waverley Bar where I am wearing my Canadian built hemp R-Kilt beside the statue of a North American First Peoples leader.

Saturday morning provided a rare photo scoop of Pour1Malt not wearing a kilt as he takes Taffy and Riley for their morning walk, accompanied by Emma's sister's wee dug.

Paul and I at Caerlaverock Castle

Reflections on the moat at Caerlaverock

Paul and Laura at Caerlaverock Castle

Paul and Laura at Caerlaverock bird sanctuary

The circus was in town and Paul and I captured an acrobat.

One man and his dog, Dumfries, Saturday afternoon.
    More to follow shortly.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 3rd December 09 at 06:36 AM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday in Cavens, left to right, Cessna152towser, Pour1malt, Craig, Paul

The handsome Craig and his beautiful lass Susie in Cavens

Later on Saturday night, outside the Globe, left to right, Pour1Malt, Craig, Cessna152towser, Paul and my friend Alan.

Sunday, and it was time to begin rehearsing the steps for the Dumfries Homecoming Reel. Note the variety of styles, everything from Prince Charlie jackets and formal kilt outfits through to jeans and sweatshirts.

Dancer's eye view of the demonstration of the dance steps, relayed from the stage via large screen television.

I was partnered with the lovely Andrea (in grey hat and red gloves) who had come along alone and we joined two other couples to make up our set of six for the reel.
    Each dancer was issued with a strip of tartan to wear as a sash as proof of registration for the attempt on the world record. I chose Queen of the South tartan.

Dancing was thirsty work so afterwards the rabble mustered at the Coach and Horses.
    Left to right, Cessna152towser, Paul, English Bloke with his daughter on his shoulder, Pour1Malt, and English Bloke's son.
    More to follow shortly.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 1st December 09 at 08:40 AM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We then went along to see and hear the Red Hot Chilli Pipers in Dumfries town centre

At the end of the Red Hot Chilli Pipers gig at 5pm the Dumfries Christmas lights were switched on

The seminar shot outside Fleshers, left to right Cessna152towser, Pour1Malt, Paul, and English Bloke with his daughter and son

St. Andrews day Monday I went to Edinburgh. On the Royal Mile, left to right Cessna152towser, Acaig, Phil

A kilt don't in the window of one of Edinburgh's better class kiltmakers who ought to know better, the pairing of a jacket which has been tailored to go with trousers, along with a kilt.

A special Christmas sporran for £300? Not for me thanks.

The High Court was closed for the St. Andrews holiday. Here is the piper who was threatened with an Anti-Social Behaviour Order by the Court for playing his pipes in the vicinity of the Court, but today the Court can turn a blind eye to him playing in the doorway.

Another group shot, left to rught ACaig, Phil, Cessna152towser

At half past four in the afternoon of the last day of Homecoming Scotland 2009, the site of July's clan village in Holyrood Park now presents a bleak view.

A relic of the Edinburgh gathering, this vinyl banner still hangs on the wall of Russell House at the foot of the Canongate.
    One final instalment to follow shortly

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent documentation as always, Alex.

Robertson actually owns a pair of pants? Che Infame!

...and I have been itching for a nice tweed jacket and the photo of that grey one in the shop window has just made the jonesing worse. Nice jacket...since you mentioned that it was an upscale shop, I don't dare to think of what it might set me back...oh well, the recession will be over some day...

Best

AA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next a series of shots from my St. Andrews Day march up the Royal Mile, from Holyrood Park to the Castle Esplanade

I'd promised myself I would march up the Royal Mile for free on St. Andrews day rather than pay an exorbitant price to march as a clan alba person at the Edinburgh gathering. I chose to wear Wilson tartan, honouring the great grandmother whom I share with my Canadian relatives. I reflected that next time there is an Edinburgh gathering there is likely to be much more enthusiasm and participation by the Scots. It is all very well to have a Homecoming Gathering but you need to have someone at home to welcome you. The preference of the Edinburgh gathering organisers to allocate "clan" tents to overseas clan and family societies left many of us from Scottish lowland families feeling excluded at the time, but as with my own clan, several lowland family societies are now, as a consequence of this year's events, working with their overseas counterparts towards re-establishing their clan structures with an identified hereditary head of family.

There could be no Homecoming event without Homecomers coming to explore their Scottish roots, here is a lovely lass who was visiting Edinburgh from Johannesburg, South Africa, over the Homecoming Scotland 2009 finale.

Homecoming Scotland 2009 came to a close with spectacular ten minute fireworks display from Edinburgh Castle.
    That's all folks.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 1st December 09 at 10:20 AM.

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, as usual Alex. Looks like you had a wonderful time.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great photos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures Alex!

Robertson in a pair o' breeks! My flabber has never been so ghasted!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent photos Alex.

I would actually wear that Christmas sporran - but as a novelty.
    £ 300?! I don't think so....
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics as always Alex

Don't know if I could handle the sun setting quite that early in the day though...1700?
    Last edited by ###KILTEDKIWI###; 1st December 09 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast