X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Old Mackenzie tartan kilt fits (sort of)!

Hi,

A while ago, I posted to say that Mum and I had found an old McKenzie tartan kilt in a hard-to-get-to wardrobe. I was a bit too big for it. Somehow, I must have lost a little weight, and it now (just) fits me. It's quite tight.

Anyway, it falls at my lower knee, I think. And it seems tight around the waist at the front, but loose at the small of my back. Oh well, that's what you get when the kilt is not made for you. Anyway, I think it looks good on me.

Quentin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QMcK View Post
    Anyway, I think it looks good on me.
    Post a pic, please, so we can agree with you.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - perhaps I will later. I'm a bit shy about posting a photo of myself here.

Trying that kilt on has made me want my own kilt even more. Though, I think I would want a 5 yard one, as that is quite heavy.

I could get an acrylic SWK, but I think that I may as well spend the extra money and get a wool SWK. But I can't get it in Mackenzie tartan, and it costs $US150. I would guess that would be at least $NZ200, and then there's still the shipping to consider.

There's a Scottish shop here in Christchurch. They sell kilts, but they're about $500. I think Mum would probably help me if I wanted to buy one, but I think I'd be too scared of messing it up to wear such an expensive kilt.

I still have that Burnside High girls' kilt. I could get it altered to close on the other side. That's wool, but it's very thin. I think that's what I'll end up doing. But then, I question myself as to how just putting the buckles on the other side will make it a mans' garment. It does seem a bit stupid to me that something as trivial as that determines the 'gender' of the garment. People will think I'm odd for wearing a kilt anyway. Will it make much difference?

Can someone tell me: how breathable is acrylic compared to wool?

------

Edit: Just seen Celtic Croft. I could get a Mackenzie tartan kilt made of a 55/45 blend of polyester and wool for $119. Shipping is going to be a killer, coming all the way from the USA to NZ.

Anyway, I shouldn't bore you with all this. I need to stop dreaming about getting a kilt. There are more important things to do.

What about making a great kilt? I was considering that earlier. I could do that myself for the price of the material. I guess it would be a little costumy, but most people would think a small kilt is a costume, anyway. And, obviously, I could wear that only in the winter.
    Last edited by QMcK; 9th December 09 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn. I thought Stillwater was my best bet, but now I see they don't accept money orders or bank deposits from outside the US. That sucks.. Neither I nor Mum have a credit card.

Oops. Got tangled up there. It says they don't accept cheques or money orders from outside the US. Maybe they accept bank deposits. Anyone know? I don't see it mentioned there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say contact Jerry at SWK and talk to him, he might have a solution for you..
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - I'll do that. I think if it's possible to get one from SWK, I'll get a thrifty. I now see I can get it in Mackenzie tartan. It's $29. I better do some searching to find any reviews of thrifty kilts.

I've been having a hard time deciding what to get. I have a really good kilt that doesn't fit me quite right, but I can wear on special occasions. However, I'd have to find a very good excuse to wear that kilt (like a wedding or a funeral). It's very precious.

I want something that I can just wear as I would trousers. I imagine I'll wear it only every second weekend or so, so it doesn't need to be bullet-proof.

-----------

Edit: Quote from billmcc in "First Kilt Purchase". "In my opinion, a kilt without sewn down pleats looks a bit like a cheerleaders skirt. SWK's economy model has sewn down pleats and is only $20 more than the Thrifty model.

All SWK kilts are acrylic. This material is very good a retaining body heat, which is not a good thing during the summer here in Florida. I prefer a USAK Casual model for summer wear because PV is much cooler than acrylic."

But they are $100.

How hard are these things to sew? Just a 4 or 5 yard one. Probably very hard, if you use a tartan material, which I would want.
    Last edited by QMcK; 10th December 09 at 02:09 AM.

MacBean is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.burnetts-struth.com has a category on the left, Casual Kilts on Sale. Good wool tartans from Locharron. In the 16oz line they have Mackenzie dress, which might interest you. They are $199 (tuck it away for future reference).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw Christchurch I thought I might be able to help - but Poole, Dorset, England is, alas, close to the wrong Christchurch.

What happens if you pull up the kilt so that the lower edge is at your knee?

I just thought - you might be wearing the kilt too low down - the standard kilt is worn above the natural waistline, as is often repeated on this forum, so I wonder if that is the problem here.

It is all very well for you to want to wear the kilt as you would trousers, once you have a kilt built for that style - but the inbuilt shaping of the traditional kilt is assuming conformity to the ancient and honourable hoisted position.

Perhaps your kilt acquisition problems could be solved by using PayPal.

i find it very handy to be able to sell things anywhere in the world and have no bother changing currencies or waiting for payment. There are small fees involved, but less than postage and bank charges, plus it was very simple to set up, and we have not had any problems with it over the years.

What costs there are are outweighed by the convenience of shopping online and the ease of picking up a bargain.

Another option for kilt acquisition is to make your own. Cotton or cotton blends will make cool kilt for Summertime temperatures even at weights suitable for kilts, and with a kilt liner you could wear it into Winter.

At the moment I am wearing my 8 yards of peached black cotton kilt, and it is fine around the house or in the car, and before I go out walking I will put on a kilt liner and hose, jacket and beret and not be cold at all.

There are instructions on the forum for making box or reverse Kingussie kilts, which might solve all your problems as they can be fitted to your liking as you work.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit shy about posting a photo of myself here.
    Take a picture and crop out your top half, we promise to be kind. I use paint.net for photos. Free download and easier to use than irfanview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not post what you're looking for and a size? Some members might have an extra kilt lying about that they could part with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast