X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy My b-day party this year

Man, I tell ya, sometimes the fates just don't smile on you. Yesterday, I must've had, to quote the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons; Worst. Birthday. Ever.

Started out with a phone call from our landlord reminding me that we hadn't paid the rent yet… So of course, I caught some minor heck from the wife about forgetting to do so… Took care of that soon thereafter.

Then, I only got 1 e-mail all day from the one friend who didn't forget my birthday, but otherwise…. [tumbleweed]… Didn't even get so much as an e-mail, card or phone call from my own parents… (Very unusual). No b-day presents, not even so much as a "happy birthday" from my wife… :-(

Anyway, early that evening, a few of us went to a jazz concert that we had tickets for and were looking forward to, and it was awful! The saxophonist sounded like an elephant in heat as he was trying to show off and making his sax squeak off-tune. I'm not exaggerating… My wife met a couple who spent most of the concert in the lobby. I didn't understand why until later -- I found out the wife was a music teacher and she just couldn't deal with the awful squealing and belching that was passing as "music."

So, following the concert we were going to go for some drinks at a place that serves microbrewed beer. Got there and found out that it was closed because someone had booked the whole place for a private party. Disappointed, we made our way to another place --- that was also closed for a private party. As was another. In the end we finally got to a place that we generally don't frequent as it's in a basement and it gets kind of stinky down there… But not before running into some friends who made some rude-ish remarks about the way I was dressed (IoS kilt, fur dress sporran, Grey Argyll jacket, shirt, tie).

Our time at the pub went alright… We dropped about $70 between my wife and I… But I was a little surprised that from all our friends who came along, no one even offered to buy me a drink. Again, a bit unusual considering that when we attend each other's b-days each year that is considered par for the course. I dunno. Maybe I just expected too much…

Anyway, I'm glad it's tomorrow now… Perhaps I'll just start looking forward to Christmas and the New Year…

So to sum it up... As we are fond of saying here on XMTS: "Pictures or it didn't happen" -- I'm pleased to report that this event never really happened. (There weren't any worthwhile photo moments)...
    Last edited by CDNSushi; 20th December 09 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Minor correction.

Born in Glasgow, Scotland currently S.Yorkshire England UK and part time Gambia W Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that your birthday was "forgotten". Mine is on the 27th so I know how you feel, mine gets frogotten most years apart from my daughter. If people do remember they get the day wrong saying Oh I thought it was Boxing , sorry! The only way I know to get people to remember is to throw a party as I did for my 60th. Oh what a night. Anyway belated Birthday Greetings. I hope your Christmas & New Year are more memorable for the right reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be worse I guess. My mom has forgotten mine before, and it is the day after hers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Claim a do-over. Sometime in the next few days or weeks, declare your birthday "rain date" and let EVERYBODY know. Then stand back and let the shower of goodness fall. And wear the same outfit, as it sounds like it looked pretty good.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Claim a do-over.
    LOL!!! I love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Birthday

Happy late birthday to you
    Happy late birthday to you
    Happy late Birthday to yo-ou
    Happy late birthday to yooooooooou!

and many more.....

Julie

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGriffin View Post
    and many more.....

Julie
    I wouldn't wish the poor guy many more birthdays like that!!

Sounds kinda like my birthday this year - a non-event for the most part, even though it was the "big 4-0". I didn't get a cake (not even a cupcake ), didn't go out for dinner, but I did treat myself to a massage.
    John

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Claim a do-over. Sometime in the next few days or weeks, declare your birthday "rain date" and let EVERYBODY know. Then stand back and let the shower of goodness fall. And wear the same outfit, as it sounds like it looked pretty good.
    Are you sure it was your birthday? Perhapse you got the date wrong. (sorry couldn't resist) Happy belated birthday.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be worse ... or better ...

I really am sorry that you had a lousy time on your birthday. Regardless of why you had a lousy time, it sticks to not have a good time on your birthday.

Since my birthday is on a major holiday, I have had my share of disappointment as well. People always treated my birthday as an afterthought. I have never had a birthday party, nor have I ever gone out on my birthday, or for my birthday. Too many other things going on. My sisters all got to choose their birthday meals. I never did, because we had to have a special holiday meal. I could go on ...

But that's not to say I have a lousy time. I have a great time around my birthday, for two reasons:

1) I count my blessings. I choose to focus on the "have" rather than the "have not." Heck, there's always more we could have, but I for one am doing just fine, thanks -- I have friends and family, I have clothes, I have a place to live, etc.

2) I keep my expectations low. If you understand that no one else is obligated to view your birthday as important -- and they really aren't -- then it's really special when anyone does anything.

Please understand that I am not chastising you -- I am truly sorry you had a bad time, and I can sympathize. I just hope I can help make future birthdays better for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast