X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Paul and Jimmy,
    Ken & Scruffy are the principal owners of the pub, with the rest of the band holding a minor interest. Anyone who drops into McGreevey's is sure to meet one or more of the band members, and are likely to be served a stout by Ken or Scruffy(the primary landlords). The members of the band are real down to earth and like meeting their fans on a personal level whenever they can.
    I do not know Glasgow or where the band will hang out while there. You could go to their website, and a short time before the concert post a question to them as to where and what - - you could get a reply to where to meet and greet.
    Maybe they will slum it and have a drink in Bairds Bar in the Gallowgate, Celtic Shirts a must

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Maybe they will slum it and have a drink in Bairds Bar in the Gallowgate, Celtic Shirts a must
    Jimmy,
    I'll be wearing as much green as possible, but have never owned a Celtic shirt!
    So it'll either be a Dropkick Murphys or a Boston Celtics t-shirt for me
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Jimmy,
    I'll be wearing as much green as possible, but have never owned a Celtic shirt!
    So it'll either be a Dropkick Murphys or a Boston Celtics t-shirt for me
    Paul despite being a lifelong Celtic supporter, I have never owned a Celtic top and very unlikely ever to. To many yobs in football tops particularly Celtic and Rangers, probably receive lots of criticism for this viewpoint.

So don't know what top I will be wearing at the Barrowland, probably just look in the wardrobe on the day, certainly it will be one of my cheaper kilts as it probably will be a tough night.
    Paul would you wear your kilt in Bairds bar next to the Barras, it may be ok on Dropkick night but would you wear it in there any other time? I think a place like Bairds would be a challenge for even the most enduring kilt wearer,
    What do you think, are you brave enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Paul despite being a lifelong Celtic supporter, I have never owned a Celtic top and very unlikely ever to. To many yobs in football tops particularly Celtic and Rangers, probably receive lots of criticism for this viewpoint.

So don't know what top I will be wearing at the Barrowland, probably just look in the wardrobe on the day, certainly it will be one of my cheaper kilts as it probably will be a tough night.
    Paul would you wear your kilt in Bairds bar next to the Barras, it may be ok on Dropkick night but would you wear it in there any other time? I think a place like Bairds would be a challenge for even the most enduring kilt wearer,
    What do you think, are you brave enough?
    I think so, Jimmy!
    I'm positive I've been there at some point earlier in life after a Celtic game if it's the pub I'm thinking of. I wouldnt feel really awkward wearing a green-ish tartan kilt... especially if I've got an Ireland's National kilt by then! Otherwise my Campbell will do.
    I don't often wear my kilt out and about in Glasgow but I think it could be seen as something identified as a wee bit Irish as well as Scottish. Do you think there would be any sort of negativity or any comments of a negative nature? I'm sure most people would know that Óglaigh na h-Eireann (Irish Defences) wear kilts and have a great pipe band!
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only been in Bairds once or twice, its not the type of place that I would want to frequent, although it comes under the Calton and I have some very good friends that come from the area.
    I find that pubs which are out and out Celtic or Rangers pubs get the lowest denominator of clientele with are fairly low IQ among its patrons.

I do not mean to be condescending in what I say but I feel that once people are placed in such an environement then the mob mentality takes over and reason flies out of the window, as a former publican and being totally against club colours being worn in licensed premises, I feel that I have the experience to argue this point.

Anyway lets hope there are no x-markers who are regulars in Bairds because if they read this they are sure to give a hostile welcome to the first kiltie to enter Bairds.
    Although the fact remains Bairds is a bears pit and I am sure its not the place that you would take your wife or girlfriend for a quiet pint especially on match days - Hail Hail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those going to the 16th show in boston my group has tasked me with getting the rout planned. Were coming from Maine so I'm trying to figure out where the best place to drive into and take the train in from without getting stuck in traffic for too long. I'd like to get us to the pub by 5 to meet the rest of the kilties and maybe get some pic's taken with the band.

for those who know Boston any opinions on where would be the best place to grab the T in? Also how tricky is it to get to the show after will most just walk from the pub to the show?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345