X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Art of Kiltmaking

I wanted to put this in the general forum, because I think many won't get the word in the DIY forum. I received Barbara Tewksbury's and Elsie Stuemeyer's book "The Art of Kiltmaking". I have NO intention of making my own kilt, at least a tartan kilt. However, I learned quite a bit about how to judge the quality of a kilt, how to wear a kilt, and how to take care of a kilt. I highly recommend that anyone planning on doing a significant amount of kilt wearing invest in this book. And while you are at it, down load the supplement on box pleated kilts, by Barb and Matt Newsome. Here is the link for the main book. http://www.celticdragonpress.com/

Full disclosure: I have one box pleat from Barb and I'm in her queue for another. How do I like it? Well I am a repeat customer, and Welsh- we've even tighter than those spendthift Scots.

Geoff Withnell
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I have to wholeheatedly agree with Geoff. I DID use the Art of Kiltmaking as a guide to making a box-pleated kilt (before the supplement). I found it to be extremely useful. I had researched Matt Newsome's comments on the box-pleating and found that when I read the supplement the methods that I had used to construct my kilt were 99% identical to those in the supplement. I cannot say enough positive things about the book. You MUST have this in your library.

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever pricked your finger with a needle while sewing? On a sewing machine?!

I have.

I have no intentions of ever making my own kilt BUT this book is a must have. Buy it. 'nuff said. ith:
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything said. I recently received a new kilt; because I had previously read the book, I could spot all the faults and have them corrected by a third party. Otherwise I would have lost a lot of money.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the book too...but my personal motto is, "I sew - I bleed." Used the book to try to (unsuccessfully) put "pleats" in a "pleated to the gather" Sportkilt.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently making my second kilt using The Book as a guide - and about to finish the first (one hand-sewn and one machine-sewn - need to have two projects always running).

The instructions are very clear, and I love the line drawings. Sometimes I wish I had the author handy to smack over the head when I pick a seam out for the third time, but that's of course because I'm not being accurate enough. Only perfect is perfect! But of course, there are many ways to make a perfect kilt, and Barb T.'s book is a very good way!

A kilt is relatively uncomplicated to make (I've discovered), but a lot of work. But if your hands are steady, your mind is tranquil and you don't mind learning by doing, I recommend making your own kilt. It's very rewarding.
    Vin gardu pro la sciuroj!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished a box pleat using this book as a guide, it turned out great!
    Haxtonhouse
    The Fish WhispererŽ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received Barb's excellent book for my birthday and it is awesome! Recently I have been mixing up trad and contemporary styles in my kiltmaking, and TAoK has become indispensible. It's funny to look at kilts I made before the book(I'm not sure they're actually kilts now). Thanks Barb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything said. Purchased the book myself and spent days reading and comparing to my existing kilts. What a joy to sit, examine and appreciate the workmanship put into those garments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starbkjrus View Post
    Have you ever pricked your finger with a needle while sewing? On a sewing machine?!

I have.

I have no intentions of ever making my own kilt BUT this book is a must have. Buy it. 'nuff said. ith:
    Every kilt demands a blood sacrifice

I am using the excellent book and I'm on my fourth kilt. All so far have been knife edge pleats but when my xmarks tartan fabric finally catches up with me (don't ask, it's a long story) I'll be trying a box and double-box pleat kilt as well as two knife edge pleat kilt pleated to different stripes.

It's a great book!

Mark
    Tetley
    The Traveller
    What a wonderful world it is that has girls in it. - Lazarus Long

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast