X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from another Edmontonian. Do let us know when you might next be in E-town.
    Garrett

"Then help me for to kilt my clais..." Schir David Lindsay, Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also recommend the Scottish Highland Gift Shoppe. They were able to hook my entire family up with kilts in our family (Rennie) tartan.

Their prices are definitely higher than online for a bunch of things, but they're friendly and helpful so you're paying for that I 'spose.

When I got my kilt I asked about purchasing one of their rental prince charlie jackets once they're retired and the price they quoted seemed pretty reasonable, although ultimately I decided I didn't need to own such a formal coat.

I ended up getting a crail jacket from http://www.thescotlandkiltcompany.co.uk/ and am very pleased with it. I ordered one size up from my normal jacket size and it fits pretty much perfectly. Coincidentally, my dad ordered a crail jacket through the highland gift shoppe....and received the exact same one I got online (but for a fair bit more $$$)

As far as kilt nights around here, haven't really heard of any. My dad and I (we can't even get my brother to join us....) have gone for a pint kilted a couple times, but that's about it.

Definitely something to consider though...

ren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rx2000. There a few of us from Calgary on here for sure. I know it's a ways away but maybe we could plan for St. Patrick's Day for a kilt night?
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Jason

Here's to a long life and a merry one, A quick death and an easy one,
    A pretty girl and an honest one, A cold beer and another one.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll point out that Burns Day is this coming Monday. Far more fitting day for a kilt night than St. Patrick's Day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Too far south to help with your question, but Welcome to X-Marks - from Music City, USA - Nashville, TN !!
    "'Tis far better to keep one's mouth closed and
    seem the fool; than to open it, thereby removing
    all doubt." Anon.

Member - Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that would be a great idea....except I'm stuck working evenings, starting monday. Lucky my parents are willing to have thier Burns' supper on Sunday.

I'd definitely be up for other dates besided St Pat's....never been one of my faves to try to get a seat at a bar anyway. Too busy with 1-night-a-year drinkers.

Haven't decided if I go to work kilted on monday or not....hmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should perhaps mention that the Scottish Imports store is moving, closing up the place just a few blocks from my home next Friday and reopening on 1 February at noon in a new location: 10630-124 Street. No more dropping in on a whim for me ...

I won't be attending the only local Burns' dinner that I know about, since I'm not a member of that group, but ... anyone up for a pint that evening, perhaps at O'Byrne's on Whyte (I'm told that the new Bothy wine and Scotch bar on Gateway is likely to be packed...)?
    Garrett

"Then help me for to kilt my clais..." Schir David Lindsay, Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived in Calgary we used to go out to the Kilt & Caber pub in McKenzie Town. It's one of the things I miss the most about living there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdesq View Post
    I'll point out that Burns Day is this coming Monday. Far more fitting day for a kilt night than St. Patrick's Day.
    I haven't been to a Burns day yet but I would agree with you anyway jkdesq. I can't find a 'casual' Burns night to attend this year though. I suggested St. Pats as a day more likely for everyone to be free. Once I get some proper attire I can't wait to go to a Burns night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rx2000 View Post
    I would agree that would be a great idea....except I'm stuck working evenings, starting monday. Lucky my parents are willing to have thier Burns' supper on Sunday.

I'd definitely be up for other dates besided St Pat's....never been one of my faves to try to get a seat at a bar anyway. Too busy with 1-night-a-year drinkers.

Haven't decided if I go to work kilted on monday or not....hmm

True about the 1 night drinkers. Calgary pubs seem to go all out with the bands and Limiericks on Mac trail even had some highland dancers in one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kilt View Post
    When I lived in Calgary we used to go out to the Kilt & Caber pub in McKenzie Town. It's one of the things I miss the most about living there.

Haven't been to the Caber for a few years now. Back when you could smoke in bars it was a really bad one for all the smoke gathering around. Still it's a good pub. I like the license plate Mr. Kilt. Did you keep it when you left AB?
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Jason

Here's to a long life and a merry one, A quick death and an easy one,
    A pretty girl and an honest one, A cold beer and another one.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

kiltedwolfman
    I'll be in clagary a few times this summer with work and when I am I'll let you know and perhaps we can set up a kilt night then. we almost always get bunked in hotels and they almost always have a bar either attached or close by hehehe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast