X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GE "energy smart" CFL bulbs

Without getting in the politics of energy savings, and whether one type of light bulb is "better" than another, or whether the greatest environmental cost of a type of bulb is in the production, use, or disposal phase of its lifecycle, or whether one really lasts longer than another, I thought I'd share with the rabble a little evaluation I did on three versions of the same GE "energy smart" brand Compact Florescent Lightbulb (CFL).

Last night at the grocery store, while angry mothers were close to rioting over the milk situation (there was not a container remaining), I was distressed to see that my favorite halogen bulbs have been discontinued. A light in my living room has gone out, and I need a replacement bulb. One of my long-time objections to the new CFLs is that they produce a garish light, capable of transforming the loveliest living room into an industrial workshop at the flip of a switch.

I noticed that the 60-watt bulb equivalents came in four flavors: bright white, cool white, soft white, and "sunshine." Unsure of what each of them meant, I decided to buy three of them (discounting the "bright" one on its name alone) to see for myself how they look at home. For comparison's sake, I also bought two GE tungsten filament 3-way bulbs (30-70-100)--one in the "Reveal" line and the other a "soft white," not otherwise marked. I realize that a 100 watt bulb is not a fair comparison to a 60-watt-rated CFL, but it was the bulb I would want for the three-way lamp that needs the replacement, my plan B in case none of the CFLs suited me.

I compared them side-by-side, two at a time, in lamps with ivory shades, selecting the one I liked the best in each round beginning with the CFLs:

Sunshine: Least favorite - casts garish blueish light.
    Cool White: 2nd favorite - casts a crisp, white light, but lacks soul.
    Soft White: Favorite CFL - casts a warm, yellowy-white light that is nearly indistinguishable from that from a tungsten filament bulb, but almost too yellow, like it's trying too hard.

At this point, I took the loser out and popped back in the 60-watt halogen bulb that was in it to begin with. They were similar, but the halogen gave off a slightly brighter, slightly whiter light.

Now I tried the 3-ways against the Soft White CFL.

The "Reveal" cast a crisp white light, with soul.
    The generic one cast a dreary light that reminded me why I stopped buying those kind a long time ago.

So, which bulb will replace the burnt out one? The winner is the "Reveal" three-way, because among the new bulbs I had it was the one with the light I liked the best, and being a three-way, I can make the lamp dim or bright as needed. My preference is still with the halogen bulbs, but if I ever had to, I now know that I can live with the "soft white" CFLs.

Regards,
    Rex, clearly with too much time on his hands.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume there was much swirling of pleats under each light source to get your final results...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the reveal lights for a while, it seems to work well for reading.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used the soft whites for the last 5 or 6 years. It was a battle between me (who wants to save energy) and my wife (who hates fluorescent lights). This was the compromise. I kinda think they're too dim, though. They work fine in a lamp when you just need ambient light and aren't trying to illuminate something specific. For overhead lights, though, I'd really like to bump it up a notch.

How long did you test these bulbs? They take several minutes to reach their full brightness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    How long did you test these bulbs? They take several minutes to reach their full brightness.
    They were probably burning for a minute or two before I formed an opinion. This brand is ostensibly "instant on," however.

R.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "instant on" thing just means it doesn't flicker or hesitate like traditional fluorescent bulbs. It may still take a while to reach full brightness.

I especially notice this when it's cold. We use CF bulbs outdoors too, and when it's cold outside, they come on very dim. It takes a good 5 minutes or more for them to get bright.

I think they also have lots of different color lights in the traditional tube fluorescents these days, too. The ones here in my office have a pinkish sort of light which took me a while to get used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a VERY rural area, and my electricity fluctuates. I have to have a surge/battery for my computer. How is this relevant? The new mercury lights flicker like a candle. Honest, if an epileptic visited me, they could go into a seizure. Where as, my older filament lights are unnoticeable. My laundry room has recessed lighting that are the mercury "Sunshine" and take up to five minutes to come to full brightness, which is still not as bright as a 75 watt filament.

Technology is an amazing thing, and necessity is a driving force behind it. I am certain that an energy saving bulb will soon come out that will work better in areas like mine.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a VERY rural area, and my electricity fluctuates.
    Hmm... you ought to be able to install a voltage regulator or line conditioner to fix that problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone else, who has been using the compact F's, for awhile, noticed that they do NOt seem to last anywhere near as long as they claim to?
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    has anyone else, who has been using the compact F's, for awhile, noticed that they do NOt seem to last anywhere near as long as they claim to?
    My parents use them, and my dad said he throws out more CFLs than he ever did of the old kind.

R.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast