X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13 oz. or 16 oz.?

Bearing in mind that I live in Florida, where we have already completed our two weeks of winter this year ...

I'm saving up for a Burnett and Struth's casual kilt, and the tartan I want is available in the "Casual Kilts on Sale" section, in both 13 oz. and 16 oz.

My first thought was that 16 oz. would be too heavy, but I'm actually now thinking that in a casual kilt with less yardage, 16 oz. would not be too warm and would produce a better kilt than 13 oz.

Am I reasoning soundly, or do you think 16 oz. would be a sweat factory here in hot, humid Florida?

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    16 oz will be FINE in a 5 Yard 'Casual' kilt. The slightly heavier material gives it a stiffer hand and looks nicer as a 5 yarder.

As and FYI, I just spent the last 4 days in Florida and wore 13 oz 8 yarders and 16 oz 5 Yard 'Casual' kilts and was fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Texas... and experience the 100+ temps during the summer... my kilts are 16oz and not an issue.. I will continue to get them in 16 oz.. I wear the 4 yd box pleat, so there would not be much difference between that and a B&S 5 yd casual..
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree, go for the 16oz with the less yardage you should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased the maple leaf in a 16oz. IMO, it is not heavy at all. I certainly wouldn't have wanted anything lighter. It's a great kilt for the price.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Southeast Texas, and all my kilts, including a B&S casual, are 16 oz. Go for it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, fast good advice based on actual experience. What a great community we have! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the heavy cloth as well. It gets plenty hot here in the summer (mostly Gulf air all summer long), and mostly wear four yard box pleats. A couple of them are 18 oz.MoD cloth, and it works fine except in the forge shop in summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that I have always been impressed with is knowledge that is held by others. As time goes on, and one learns more, eventually one is sufficiently educated such that one is able to recognize the true expertise that is held by others amongst us.

Some time ago, Matt Newsome explained to me the several advantages of 16 oz over 13 oz, and I can say that he is correct. In the end, 16 oz is superior, the only apparent downside is that it is more expensive. But it isn't much more expensive, and that is why all of my kilts (but one) are 16 oz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of the B & S kilt is it's the same price for the 10/13/ or 16 oz casuals.

If only they had the IOS in stock...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast