X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns' Day, Edmonton

I asked earlier, in another thread, whether anyone in the Edmonton area might be up for a drink Monday afternoon or evening - even supper. I'll be out and about, and would love not to be 1) alone, and 2) the only kilted Edmontonian not attending an official Burns' dinner somewhere...

Anyone...?
    Garrett

"Then help me for to kilt my clais..." Schir David Lindsay, Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot allow this pathetic note to be the only one in the history of XMarks to have no responses whatsoever, so... a follow-up.

My partner got back from his business trip earlier than expected, so I was not alone for the evening after all. We went out to a local Irish pub for a bite to eat, and a few pints, and were joined by my daughter and a friend just before a haggis was piped in. So ... a unexpectedly pleasant evening, and the first time other than Remembrance Day here in Edmonton that I was kilted but not the only kilted one in the room (or on the street). I wasn't even the oldest (or drunkest) kilted one in the room (or on the street)...

'Twas not the best haggis I've tasted, but that's ok. A young man at the next table was telling his friends about his having once had a haggis-stuffed chicken breast that was really fine and, fondly remembering a similar meal I'd had some years back, I said loudly, "with a whiskey sauce," and badly startled the poor bugger. But he'd had the dish elsewhere than I...

Still, if you are ever planning a trip to the Trossachs, plan to eat in Callander. Even if you're not into haggis-stuffed chicken. My partner's steak and stout pie was superb, as well.
    Garrett

"Then help me for to kilt my clais..." Schir David Lindsay, Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis

kiltedwolfman
    Glad you had a good night out bud. We relaxed in house sicne we've had a mini Burns night a few weekends in a row LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these days we must actually raise a pint together, in the same place!
    Garrett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad the night turned out better than expected. Might I ask which pub you patronized? And what the kilted turn-out was like? Pictures?
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I'm glad the night turned out better than expected. Might I ask which pub you patronized? And what the kilted turn-out was like? Pictures?
    No pictures, I fear ... but it did happen - I have witnesses! We went to O'Byrnes', on Whyte, close to home (as well as to where my daughter works, as you know). They apparently do a Robbie Burns celebration every year, but don't really advertise it. Free haggis with neeps and tatties for anyone in the pub who asks, with relatively cheap Guinness - it is an Irish pub - to wash it down.

Leaving aside from the two pipers, one server, and the guy who did the recitation, I saw four other men in kilts - one ultilikilt, two tanks worn with t-shirt or sweater, one tank with worn PC on someone notably older and drunker than I. The place was pretty full, so I might have missed one or two...
    Garrett