X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wedding Ambiance

My sisters wedding is coming up next month, and she has asked that I be in charge of making sure the sound works in the church. She has also asked me to put together a list of some songs that she might want plaed. Its not going to be a very religeous setting, so I wanted to put together for her a nice rounded list. I have covered all the traditional stuff: Canon, AIr on G, Greensleves, and so on.

I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for some more celtic-y sounding ambiance. She is open to anything, and I think she would enjoy it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lorena McKennitt, if you're into New Agey, "celtic-inspired" stuff. She does, though, have a really beautiful voice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how a church could be described as not a 'very religious setting' but anyway... Highland Cathedral is very popular at weddings. I've heard it said that it is the most popular pipe tune.

Unfortunately the prospective Mrs Courtmount did not allow me to have 'Highway to Hell' or 'We're on the Road to Nowhere' during the service but I managed to get the former in at during the evening thrash.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By not very religeous in setting, despite being in a church; I was trying to say that she was not looking for blatently religeous music that sometimes is played at weddings: Ave Maria, Handels The Messaiah, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deleted
    Last edited by auld argonian; 14th April 10 at 07:21 PM. Reason: misunderstood the op's question

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you want a really good pipe tune "Mharis' Wedding"

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I have seen albums with titles like Celtic Wedding, but I don't remember by which band(s). Possibly the Chieftans.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS1970 View Post
    I know I have seen albums with titles like Celtic Wedding, but I don't remember by which band(s). Possibly the Chieftans.
    Yes the Chieftans!

It's funny, years ago I was hired to play at an Irish-themed wedding and they had picked some of the music from that Chieftans "Celtic Wedding" album, not realising that it was an album of French music, not Irish music!

Anyhow I just came from playing uilleann pipes at a wedding, playing along with a small orchestra consisting of two violins, one viola, one cello, one French Horn one Boehm flute, one clarinet, and one keyboard doing piano sounds.

They played Jesu the Joy of Mans Desiring, Canon in D, a few Bach things (a thing from one of the Brandenburg Concertos and a thing from one of his Orchestral Suites plus other stuff I don't remember), and some interesting "classical" stuff I'd not heard before.

They had me play Highland Cathedral on the uilleann pipes! Odd but OK. And I played on a Bach gavotte which functioned as the recessional.

I've been playing at weddings for over 30 years and I always prefer it when people tell me the feeling or effect they want out of each piece and let me choose the actual tunes. The reason is that most people, when they hire a piper, are entering an entire genre they've never listened to. They usually know two songs, Amazing Grace and "that other one".

There was an interesting interview with John Williams, the famous movie soundtrack composer, and he said that the most important thing for each scene was to get the tempo right. When I'm playing for a wedding I'm the soundtrack, and the most important thing is to get the tempo right. It really doesn't matter much what the specific tune is, as long as it sets the right feeling.

When people do request specific tunes, it usually goes like this: I've been playing for an hour, then I decide it's time to play that special request. Often I have to research the song, find the "normal" music, and come up with a bagpipe arrangement. Anyhow as soon as I'm finished playing it somebody from the family comes up and asks me to play their special song! "I was just playing it now as you came up" I'll say. "Oh really? I didn't hear it" is always the response. Bottom line is the people doing the requesting never hear it anyway. And they often request such inappropriate stuff, for which they rarely know the actual name of.

When playing uilleann pipes for the preservice music of an Irish wedding I'll cycle through the three main genres of Irish song:

1) the "tin pan alley" stuff composed in New York like Irish Eyes Are Smiling. Many of these New York songs are little known in Ireland itself.

2) the 1960s Irish folk songs like Fields of Athenry. These are often beloved in Ireland and are the equivalent to our Peter Paul and Mary stuff.

3) the genuine Irish songs, from the sean nos tradition like Roisin Dubh. These are usually unknown to Americans but are known and loved especially by older people raised in Ireland, especially the Irish speakers.

To which I'll often add a fourth

4) compositions by Turlough Carolan, the 17th century Irish harper/composer, such as Sidh Beag Agus Sidh Mor. Some of these are quite lovely though they have odd-sounding names like Planxty Fanny Power and Carolans Quarrell With The Landlady.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th April 10 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry; a little unclear: Are we talking live musicians or DJ? For the ceremony, reception...?

My wife and I had a piper for our ceremony, but also put together several CDs of Scottish (predominately) music that we handed off to our DJ for the reception. If that's what you're looking for, I can see if I can dig up our playlist. It was quite wide-ranging -- everything from early Scottish music like this to Forest for the Trees, Shooglenifty, The Proclaimers... and pretty much everything in between.

Our entry music for the reception was Blair Douglas's "Landlord's Walk" and our first dance was to the Boys of the Lough's "A Midwinter Waltz".

I also highly recommend Eileen Ivers's "Pachelbel's Frolics" (Listen to the whole thing -- it gets interesting around 3'10")
    Last edited by Tim Little; 19th April 10 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    4) compositions by Turlough Carolan, the 17th century Irish harper/composer, such as Sidh Beag Agus Sidh Mor. Some of these are quite lovely though they have odd-sounding names like Planxty Fanny Power and Carolans Quarrell With The Landlady.

This reminds me of one of the trad tunes that the Chieftains play!: An Phis Fhliuch

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast