X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Sherwood Forest Faire, near Austin

I'd like to let the Texas rabble know about a new start-up Ren-Faire in the Austin area; Sherwood Forest Faire. Opening weekend is 2/27/10.
    http://www.sherwoodforestfaire.com/entertainment.htm

Sherwood Forest Faire is located near Paige Texas, 35 miles east of Austin on US Hwy 290. The grounds cover 105 nicely wooded acres, currently consisting of 25 acres for the actual faireground area, expandable to 48 acres. Sherwood has a "medieval" theme, and the faire is set around the year 1189, the time of Richard the Lionhearted and Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

This faire is the result of lots of hard work and dedication on the part of a lot of folks in the Texas faire community, and it looks to be a good one.

I'll be there for opening day, hope to see ya'
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, I know where the turn-off for Old Potato Road is! But, I ain't wearing no green tights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I live in Austin but hadn't heard anything about this.

I don't see Things Celtic listed as a vendor so they might not have heard about it either. I'll shoot them a message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop By The Shop!

My wife, Angie, and I will be there representing SingleTree, for whom we travel as shop managers. I've set up our big, colorful tent right behind the benches at the Three Celestials Stage in the Gypsy Emcampment, which is behind Maid Marian's Chapel. Stop by and say "Hi!" I probably WILL be wearing tights, at least until Stillwater has their black Shadowtartan kilts in a size 30 again.

See you there!
    ~Ken

(For those of you attending the North Texas Irish Festival in Dallas on March 6th, 7th and 8th, we'll be there on that weekend instead of at SWFF.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool RadioKen, I'll look you up! Single Tree is the Hairspiral place right?

For those interested, Sherwood Forest Faire had a Media Day event last weekend. Here are some photos that Melkar, one of our ren-faire shutterbugs, took of the people, grounds, etc... that day..

http://vstrick.smugmug.com/RenFaires...92625232_7Mnyw

I'm sure there will be a banging of nails and slapping of paint right up till opening cannon on the 27th, but the place is coming together pretty good.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Cool RadioKen, I'll look you up! Single Tree is the Hairspiral place right? For those interested, Sherwood Forest Faire had a Media Day event last weekend. Here are some photos that Melkar, one of our ren-faire shutterbugs, took of the people, grounds, etc... that day.. http://vstrick.smugmug.com/RenFaires...92625232_7Mnyw I'm sure there will be a banging of nails and slapping of paint right up till opening cannon on the 27th, but the place is coming together pretty good.
    Aye, the Patented Hairspiral, plus much more! I'm glad you know us; expect to see SingleTree at more and more shows in and around Texas now that Angie and I are helping out. And, yes, there will undoubtedly be much nail-banging and paint-slapping before cannon, as well as after cannon. I spoke to at least one vendor who said that his shop was going to be "ready enough" by opening day, though not complete by far. Looking at the weather reports from this morning for McDade, I sure hope that my pavilion and pop-up camper haven't collected too much snow and sleet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be making it this weekend, but I'm shooting for March 27.
    elim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I'll be there on opening day. I was out to the grounds in December for the dedication of maid Marian's Chapel and I have to say that this faire is going to be something pretty darned special. The work and dedication that these folks have put into it is pretty astounding, and the standing stones (the Seven Sisters) that were imported from Europe and installed on the grounds are something to see and marvel at. I am so excited about this faire that I hardly no where to even begin.

And the coolest thing is that it's right down the road from me! I will definitely be attending multiple times. Come on out and join the fray!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

See you guys out there! Look for the X-Marks tartan and the mighty dandelion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be warned...

...Zardoz got a picture of me in my tights and has threatened to spread it to all corners of the internet.

Opening day was well attended with a gate count of just over 3,000. The weather held and spirits were high. It was great to see you, Zardoz, and I look forward to meeting more of you as the weeks go on!

~Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast