X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with Clan Campbell has been fantastic. The group of people here in Michigan have been very friendly. When I stopped by the clan tent 2 years ago they immediatly invited me to march in the clan parade and to a lunch afterwards, lots of food, nice people. This led me to not only join up but to volunteer to help as well. Plan on helping even more this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A am a V.P. and Regional Commissioner (New England) for the Clan Buchanan Society International, Inc. Our Society supports a genealogy library and prints a magazine several times a year. But I have always thought that the most tangible service we provide is our clan tent. We provide a tent at almost all the games here in New England (there are 2 we no longer have a convernor for) and have a rather large following from our clan. I also organize our participation in the NY Tartan Day Parade. To me it is the hospitality we provide to our members that keeps them involved. This year we are hosting the Clan's Annual General Meeting at the New Hampshire Highland Games in September, so if you are a Buchanan come on up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan membership fee

Some clans are higher, some are lower. Macpherson is currently $35 per year for a Regular membership. I joined back in 1985. It was I believe $25 a year.

I change to Life member in 2008 for $350.00, it is now $500.00.

The Scottish Branch of the Associations charge a fee to the US Associations. Since the US$ is weak against the British pound, the fees keep going up.

Like a societies, you get out what you put in.

For more local activities, might I suggest joining:

1) Scottish Society
    2) St. Andrews Society (Most only allow men, not women)

Yours Aye,

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps along with thinking about whether it is worth it or not, maybe thinking about what you can do in support of a volunteer organization you choose to belong to. I was working in my clan tent during a festival and a lad came up and said he was looking for his clan, but they weren't there. He was a bit upset about it. My collegue asked if he was a member of the clan and he said no. She then said, well, perhaps the clan is off looking for you?

Another similar situation came up at another festival with a lad looking for his clan. He also was upset there was no presence for his clan--to which the same collegue replied, "well, you're here aren't you?".
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitpete View Post
    Perhaps along with thinking about whether it is worth it or not, maybe thinking about what you can do in support of a volunteer organization you choose to belong to. I was working in my clan tent during a festival and a lad came up and said he was looking for his clan, but they weren't there. He was a bit upset about it. My collegue asked if he was a member of the clan and he said no. She then said, well, perhaps the clan is off looking for you?

Another similar situation came up at another festival with a lad looking for his clan. He also was upset there was no presence for his clan--to which the same collegue replied, "well, you're here aren't you?".
    Well said.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to say that what you get is directly in proportion to what you put in, but it does not address the question. Some clan societies are well organized and viable, while others merely exist. I filled out contact forms at two clan tents last summer, and I am still waiting to be contacted. I have also been waiting for six months for a mere response from the local St. Andrew's society, after an existing member facilitated the initial contact. I followed up on that contact last week, but still nothing. I doubt that I will followup again. On the other hand, I recently joined the newly formed local lodge of a very established organization. There is a lot of room for improvement in the way that the local lodge operates, but the officers and members encourage input. I helped with a project about a week after joining, and I will continue to be involved.

Duncanofcolorado is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle1 View Post
    It is easy to say that what you get is directly in proportion to what you put in, but it does not address the question. Some clan societies are well organized and viable, while others merely exist. I filled out contact forms at two clan tents last summer, and I am still waiting to be contacted. I have also been waiting for six months for a mere response from the local St. Andrew's society, after an existing member facilitated the initial contact. I followed up on that contact last week, but still nothing. I doubt that I will followup again. On the other hand, I recently joined the newly formed local lodge of a very established organization. There is a lot of room for improvement in the way that the local lodge operates, but the officers and members encourage input. I helped with a project about a week after joining, and I will continue to be involved.
    Your right, some responses didn't really answer my question. Volunteering and participating come after joining. My question was tell me your experiences if you have joined one of these groups and whether it was worth the cost. Maybe I needed to be more specific in what I was asking.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answers:

When I joined Clan Murray, the answer is yes.

When my fair lass joined Clan Scott, she would answer YES!!!

Neither of these is very expensive, btw.

Dan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123