X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on first kilt

Greetings most respected company!

I am looking for some help re. purchasing my first kilt, of Traditional style ...8yds (approx) heavyweight.
    I see probably the best buy, would be one of the ex-army kilts seen on ebay from time to time.
    My question is;
    Would it be OK to wear such a tartan as issued to a Scottish regiment?
    I do not want to appear to be 'pretending' to be something I am not!

In reality, we do have connections with a few different tartans, but as the "Taratan for every name" thing is relatively 'new' I am not wanting to approach this from the strict Victorian standpoint.

If this sounds a bit confused, it is probably because I don't know the questions, never mind answers!

If it's any help, My wife's family is MacCrumb/macCombe, and is supposedly associated with Clan Mackintosh.
    On my side, part of the family has spent 400 yrs in Co Kerry,...so a district tartan could also work, and Ayrshire, and is supposedly associated with the Boyds.....but this connection might be more of a way of selling tartan than anything else!
    Sorry for rabbiting on, If it's easier, please just give an answer to my first Q, Re regimental tartan.

All best,
    and thank you in advance,
    Micric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 A: Personally, I wouldn't wear anything military that wasn't directly associated with me, period.

#2 A: Pick a tartan you like from one of the families you mentioned, and kilt up! There are Modern, Ancient, Weathered, Hunting, Dress, and several different mill's versions of each one...pick the one you like, and go with it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to contradict what wildrover said... #1 is a personal decision. There are no kilt police who can tell you what to wear and not to wear. Wear whatever you want and whatever you are comfortable with.

Having said that, I would point out that many of the ex-military kilts you may see on eBay would be fine for just about anyone to purchase and wear, especially if it's in a Black Watch tartan (sometimes called a government tartan). Black Watch is universal, meaning that you don't need to be in any particular clan, nor military, nor ex-military to wear it.

Put it this way. I have a Black Watch tartan kilt, and I am neither Scottish nor military and no one has ever said anything negative about it or me in regards to "entitlement" to wear it. In fact, no one has ever even asked me if I belonged to a Black Watch regiment. I only ever get asked if I play bagpipes but that's about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tartan, such as the Black Watch tartan is a universal tartan that may be, and commonly is, worn by anybody who chooses, military or not. That being said, if you are looking to get a good kilt, I'd recommend spending the money and having one made by any number of reputable kiltmakers in a Tartan that has some meaning or connection to you (or one that you just happen to like if that's your choice). Don't buy off the rack and definitely don't buy off ebay. Get a kilt that is made specifically for your body and you will never regret it. If you are concerned about the cost, you can look at PV in lieu of wool or consider a casual kilt (5 yard) or Box Pleated 4 yard kilt instead of a full 8 yard knife pleated kilt.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longhuntr74 View Post
    A tartan, such as the Black Watch tartan is a universal tartan that may be, and commonly is, worn by anybody who chooses, military or not. That being said, if you are looking to get a good kilt, I'd recommend spending the money and having one made by any number of reputable kiltmakers in a Tartan that has some meaning or connection to you (or one that you just happen to like if that's your choice). Don't buy off the rack and definitely don't buy off ebay. Get a kilt that is made specifically for your body and you will never regret it. If you are concerned about the cost, you can look at PV in lieu of wool or consider a casual kilt (5 yard) or Box Pleated 4 yard kilt instead of a full 8 yard knife pleated kilt.
    I would like to second this idea. I have bought 3 kilts from eBay. I now own NONE of them. They are the off the rack type kilts that, I personally find do not fit very well. Plus, you never know what you will get from eBay, no matter what they say in the description. There are lots of reputable kilt makers on this forum that could help you with this. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I would also buy one that has some meaning for you. That can be, as stated, a family connection or one that you just really like. I hope that helps.

Also, everyone told me what longhuntr is saying. "You need to save your money and get a good, custom kilt" I ignored them 3 times and wasted my money each time. You can get 8 yard wool and PV kilts at a decent price. I am about to get my 8 yard PV from Skye Highland Outfitters in the next week. I got it for a great price.

Brice
    Last edited by bricelythgoe; 12th February 10 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get a Black Watch ex-mod kilt in a heartbeat. But, my last name is Campbell and the two tartans are different only in shade--Black Watch is darker all the way around. Problem is, I can't find one in my size...yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the owner of many a kilt, and one that wears the kilt every day, I recommend the saving for a traditional kilt from a reputable kiltmaker or dealer.

On this board are many great kiltmakers and all of the vendors on this board produce quality products. For some ideas, click on the adverts of USA Kilts and their Premier line. The Scottish Tartans museum, Celtic Croft as alternatives. The board has also some talented kiltmakers, they tend to hide out on their kiltmaker's forum. Barb T is one who has authored a book titled The Art of Kiltmaking. This is the book that provides a lot of information on what is right and what can go wrong in a kilt. You may have read posts by Chattancat, who initially scared me off with his sig line of "budding klitmaker", it is misleading, as he has produced some kilts of notable quality. Slo-Hairt is the owner of Keltoi, and has gotten rolling with the kiltmaking, with favourable reviews.

Look around and communicate with a kiltmaker. You will be glad that you did. A quality hand sewn wool tartan kilt will provide you with a lifetime of comfort and style.

Slainte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, buy yourself a quality hand sewn kilt direct from a full time kiltmaker. You don't say where in the World you live - that could affect your choice of kilt weight, kiltmaker, and even tartan.

There are also tartans for "causes" you believe in - like the Artic and the Antarctic tartans, or the recovery tartan, or on the opposite side of the fence tartans for many whisky's. Drambuie has three lovely tartans.

One of the fun things about buying a new kilt is deciding on a tartan.

Check out Tartans By Air http://tartans.byair.net/

They don't have all the available tartans, but they do have many in addition to all the clan tartans. Great computer images of the tartans too.

Avoid "deals" unless you know and trust the kiltmaker. Remember, you can have any two of price, quality, and service.

When you pick one, talk to your selected kiltmaker. Most hand sewn kiltmakers work with the various mills on a regular basis and can tell you what your options are for kilt weight, and even types of a certain tartan...like weathered, ancient, etc.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may get lucky and find a used kilt that fits like a dream, butn my experience, the kilt you will be happiest with is one you have custom made in the tartan that YOU choose.

There are many amazing kilt makers on the forum, and the sponsors give discounts through this website.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's exactly what YOU want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some great advice here! It may or may not be very practical advice for everyone though. A beautiful custom handmade kilt will run many hundreds. If you want to make this sort of investment on an heirloom that you will treasure for the rest of you life, then by all means go for it! Consider this though before making such an investment. How much are you likely to wear the kilt? A couple times a year is typical. (Perhaps not typical for the regulars on the forum, but let us face it. We are NOT typical!)

Perhaps a more practical idea is to start with an inexpensive kilt, and learn to love it! Wear it out! While you do that, you will learn more about the kilt, how to wear it, is the kilt really for you, what tartans you like, and so on. Then when you have decided that the kilt is for you... Then you will be ready to invest in this treasure!
    Michael the Farlander

Loch Sloy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast