X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 modern looks with one kilt?

Morning all,

Not sure if here's the right place but I figured I'd ruffle less feathers here. I'm not looking to disrespect the history or traditional wearing. I would want to wear it like that but there are also other options out here that move away from the traditional.

So using a kilt (tartan or plain) what modern looks do you guys do? A 10 modern looks with one kilt sort of thing. When trying on the sweater last night for dressing up for the theater I started thinking about how well my hoodie would go with it and other looks. Things like the standard combat boot and t-shirt look.

So what about a 10 modern (US if you wish) looks with one kilt?

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds interesting. I know ive seen pics of people on here with hoodies and kilts Ron being the one who springs to mind and I look forward to what people post, this could be a really good thread.
    Im not sure i could find pics of 10 different looks of me but ill look and put what i find up later.

Jordan
    Last edited by Jordan; 16th February 10 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dress Model Freedom Kilt with Pendleton Native American pattern vest.

Natural White Utilikilts Workman's topless with tats.

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AmeriKilt putty with heavy sweater

Utilikilts basil survival with Pendleton bomber jacket and flat cap.

Utilikilt's black workman's with tank top and sandals.

Know the kilts are different, but "looks" could be done with one kilt.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not I've considered doing this. A look at 10 modern ways to wear a traditional tartan kilt... I think it would be very helpful - especially for younger members.
    I'd certainly include my own versions of things - such as a tight, untucked t-shirt with day sporran as being the least formal. I could also include wearing the kilt with black, hi-top trainers - as I regularly wear this. On the issue of semi-formal I'd go for a black shirt with the top couple of buttons unbuttoned and a contemporary jacket.
    With regards to sporrans - I have a range, though, none that are very contemporary. I could still go for it and make a guide like this at some point next week, though?
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to muck up a thread meant for showing pictures, but I really like this look as a modern adaptation of kilt wearing. It's pseudo-traditional in the sense that kilt hose are worn to the traditional height, and a waistcoat and sporran are worn too. But with a solid-color kilt, Native American pattern on the waistcoat (with colors that match the kilt!), and the "clean" look of the collar on the shirt, I think it's a GREAT look.

If I were to pick an ideal American adaptation of wearing the kilt that would become the "norm", that would be it! It's respectable looking, not too casual yet not too stuffy, and looks very comfortable. I like it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely some interesting pics.

In this situation it will be easy to do the casual side and as shown above even into semi-casual but the real trick will be doing a formal that doesn't look like only a slight variation from the traditional. Let's face it a lot of what is formal is right in line from European styles.

Paul, sounds great. Just don't forget the combat boots.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a black leather vest with eitheer tatan or plain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what Drac said about formal wear...the contemporary formal pictures in a different thread (the black on black with messy ties and dark kilt) looked like costumes more than clothing, and I'm inclined to go for traditional formal when I have the money.

As for casual...that's all I have at the moment! It'd be more like "one kilt, one set of hose, one sporran, ten different t-shirts and hoodies" .

I'll do a little experimenting with what I have, and post some pics. What I have right now is more like three casual looks.

-Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Believe it or not I've considered doing this. A look at 10 modern ways to wear a traditional tartan kilt... I think it would be very helpful - especially for younger members.
    I'd certainly include my own versions of things - such as a tight, untucked t-shirt with day sporran as being the least formal. I could also include wearing the kilt with black, hi-top trainers - as I regularly wear this. On the issue of semi-formal I'd go for a black shirt with the top couple of buttons unbuttoned and a contemporary jacket.
    With regards to sporrans - I have a range, though, none that are very contemporary. I could still go for it and make a guide like this at some point next week, though?
    This brings up something I've been mulling over for a while. I got a nice camel-color cordoroy sport coat for Christmas, and I've been wondering if I could match that up with a kilt (Irish National Economy model from Stillwater) and a nice button-down shirt for hitting the pub. IOW, a non-kilt-cut jacket with a kilt. I'm a little concerned that it might be too long, but color wise it looks pretty decent with a dark shirt. Could be a good outfit for St. Patrick's Day...

I guess I just don't trust myself yet in coming up with kilt-based outfits more complicated than a t-shirt, rugby shirt, or sweatshirt.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast