X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Victoria, BC Canada 48 25' 47.31"N 123 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another DYI Flashes Tutorial

Another DYI Flashes Tutorial
    I remember that there was quite a discussion on making flashes at Kilt Kamp.

I, of course, do things slightly different from Barb but basically the same. Not wanting to hijack her flashes tutorial I thought I'd show you how I do them.

We all do things a little different and so should you. Experiment, have fun.

Here are some shots of some matching flashes for a Kilt in the Nova Scotia Tartan.

I use a fusable non-roll waistband interfacing. It is exactly 1 1/4" wide so it gives a good clean fold. Laying it directly on the fabric allows me to layout on the diagonal easily. Lay it out, then iron it down.

The interfacing I use is stiffer than the what Barb uses and I think I'm going to try some of hers.

here's a shot folding over the fabric on the back side. I then use stitch witchery fusable to hold it down.

Another shot of the folds on the back side.

One of the different things I use is black fusable wiastband interfacing for the back side. This is known as "Jiffy Waistband" and is perforated in the middle to make it fold easy. I just cut or rip it down the middle and use one half. I think if gives a good looking clean appearance to the back.

I then use the corner of a drafting triangle to cut the notches. I do the cut with an Olfa circular cutter and finish them with scissors. Then a touch of Fray check to seal it up.

Then sew down the tops for the elastic.

A little trick I do is to sew a small bartack at the top and bottom of the elastic loop. It helps keep the flashes straight and together.

The finished product.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 17th September 17 at 07:47 PM.