X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barb Tewksbury/Art of Kiltmaking's New Website

Hello folks! Barb T.'s daughter here.

The website where you can buy 'The Art of Kiltmaking' (www.celticdragonpress.com) is getting a facelift over the next few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has any particular things they've gleaned from talking with my mom that you think should be included on the website (including resources, links, tidbits, helpful facts, or anything you can think of that made your kiltmaking process easier).

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been a lot of discussion about hair canvas (acceptable type[s] and sources of) -- it would need to be kept up to date, but would be of real value.

Good luck with the project!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, then perhaps also some info on sewing thread. There's an older thread on this forum where Barb reported testing the "new" Dual Duty thread and finding it acceptable, whereas the older formulation of Dual Duty was not recommended. I still find old Dual Duty in stock at discount fabric stores, have to watch what I'm getting.

Maybe just looking through the threads that Barb has started here on XMTS would suggest other info worth including?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you include the photos of your mom sitting and sewing.
    So many people asked about photos that I remember she posted photos of how she sits and does the cross leg thing.

And please include a photo of her sewing in one of those out of the way places like Iceland, the airport or Egypt. Just to show that it can be done anywhere.

Then some photos of the Stabilizer just after it's sewn in and the Canvas just after it's sewn in. Those are the hidden parts of the Kilt that seem to need the most explanation because you can't see them on the finished Kilt.

Then close-ups of her hands sewing pleats to show her pulling the fabric taut would be really nice.

And the last photo that really would simplify an understanding of where the waist of the Kilt should fit is almost a necessity. But the photo should be taken from the side to show the level of the top straps with the Rise flaring back out to fit over the ribs.
    So many people ask about the fit of the waistband that I have begun to describe the right place in reference to the back and Kidneys ignoring reference to the stomach or naval. A good photo showing this would really help when people are taking their measurements.

And by the way Caroline, welcome. I hope you are doing well. If you don't remember me I'm the guy who was sitting on your Mom's deck talking to her and when you walked out I said "Hey, I know you, your famous." Because your photos are in THE BOOK.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post
    OK, then perhaps also some info on sewing thread. There's an older thread on this forum where Barb reported testing the "new" Dual Duty thread and finding it acceptable, whereas the older formulation of Dual Duty was not recommended. I still find old Dual Duty in stock at discount fabric stores, have to watch what I'm getting.

Maybe just looking through the threads that Barb has started here on XMTS would suggest other info worth including?
    Coats and Clark make two, different "Dual Duty" threads. There is the stuff now called "Dual Duty Plus", which used to be just plain "Dual Duty", which is a cotton-covered polyester thread. It's still in production, but the only place I've seen it lately is at Wal-mart. (Actually, one of the local fabric stores has it in black and white, no colors.) Then there is "Dual Duty XP", which is polyester-covered polyester.

I suspect it's the "Dual Duty XP" that Barb found to be acceptable. Why they couldn't come up with a new name, I don't know.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vorpallemur View Post
    I suspect it's the "Dual Duty XP" that Barb found to be acceptable.
    Yup. That's the stuff.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely why I suggested "pinning" that info on the updated AoK site. . .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.

I am never likely to even attempt to make a kilt, nevertheless I am still intrigued to see how the kilt is made, so for me, lots of pictures please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The A of K updated website

Greetings, 21 February, 724amMST

Yer mum has been extremely helpful to me over the years as I have learned and refined my workmanship on kilts.

Might be helpful also, to go into a little bit of discussion about ironing methods.

She recommended to me that I buy a steam generator, which I did, and it makes all the difference when working with wool kilt fabric.

Also also, some detail close up pix of fell-stitching, as has already been mentioned by others.

Fide et Fortitudine, aye!

T.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast