X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlanders Discuss Highland Attire

A recent post regarding the differences in Scottish and American sensibilities towards wearing the kilt really made me stop and think. Since I'm an amateur historian at heart, I was a little frustrated when I realized that I have been neglecting a real goldmine, "primary sources" if you will, here at X Marks the Scot- namely, those XMarks members who have seen the kilt in its "natural" habitat: in the Scottish Highlands.

Here's my appeal to those members of XMarks who have been part of the traditional "Highland Kilted Scene" IN SCOTLAND for an extended time :

Would you be willing to put together an article, or series of articles (to be posted here:http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/k...157/index.html ) which describe, in detail, different aspects of highland dress as you have observed it/ currently observe it in the Highlands?

For example, what does "a kilt" mean to you- what weight, style, fabric choice, tartan used, etc. What styles of sporrans are appropriate for which events? What about pictures that demonstrate your descriptions? In summation, what does Scottish highland dress REALLY look like worn in Scotland?

I know that much information of this type is already contained in different threads, but there's no one comprehensive reference that new kilt-wearers can be pointed to if interested. An article of this type would be easily accessed in the future and important information would not be lost in a flurry of OT replies or other irrelevant comments.

A disclaimer:

I recognize that many here on XMarks have no interest in a normative "set of rules". I would humbly ask those folks to see this request (purposely posted in the Traditional Highland Dress forum) for what it is- a desire for a description of how kilted Scots actually dress- and not for what it is not- a decree that all those kilted must confirm to these descriptions. Even if one has no desire to dress in a traditional way, it should be helpful to understand the traditions which underlie highland dress...

Cordially,

David

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, count me in. Perhaps it might be best and it would help me too, if some one asked a question and let's see where that takes us.In the meantime I will put my mind, such as it is, into gear and think up a topic to write about. Is that OK David?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th February 10 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Jock on this one, this could be interesting as I have noticed a few attitudes to wearing the kilt in Scotland, from young men to older men, from lowlands to highlands, from those that don't and those that do.
    wearing a kilt everyday, and in my day job I get to meet and chat with all sides.
    This is a topic that could be quite contraversial and revealing in the attitudes of Scots folk, be prepared for answers you don't nessesarily want to hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to contribute at time allows.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy to contribute, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting idea, I look forward to seeing how the articles turn out, I would offer to help but I’m not the most academically inclined or traditional for that matter, as you might have guessed by my UK which I was wearing today or my fedora yesterday, Both of Which would probably set Jock off if he ever caught me
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea. I am probably not a typical Scot as although I wear a kilt almost daily, I often wear non-trad kilts with cargo pockets as an alternative to the traditional wool kilts with sporrans.
    You will probably only see me wearing a more traditional outfit complete with brogues, flashes, sgian-dhu and Argyle Jacket around a dozen or so times per year, most days I dress less formal.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think this would be interesting. When Steve and I were in Scotland last year, we did notice a definite difference in how the kilt was worn, when we actually saw anyone in a kilt. So this will be one thread that I will definitely follow (although I agree that the title is a bit broader than the suggested subject matter).

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent idea, David. Hearing how the kilt behaves in its "natural habitat" would make for an interesting read. I look forward to seeing the results.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here goes, on this new venture of David's. I was wondering what else there was to say about the kilt, because it has all been said before, many times probably. So there I was sat by the fire, a glass of fine scotch to hand, in my old home, thinking to myself that nothing has changed in the few months that I have left to my newish, draft free,damp free, warm, dustless(almost!) new home. Then I started to note subtle changes! At first I did not like it, but then reality struck me smack between the eyes, things change, not always for the better, but it is inevitable that things move on and my son has every right to have his house as he wants it.

The thought then occurred to me that the same thing has happened to the kilt in my lifetime, some good and some not so good. Anyway next thing that happened was a crowd 30 or so of youngsters arrived, aged between 16 and perhaps 30 all dressed up in their finery ready for an evenings fun. What a sight to behold! Pretty ladies ,some of them dressed in not a lot, and the chaps, to a man dressed, in the kilt! Apparently this was the gathering place for this new idea of getting a coach(a smart bus) to go to a ball(not drinking and driving is taken very seriously over here).

Well, rest assured that the future of the kilt is safe in those youngsters hands. Yes there was the odd thing that made me wince, but two things struck me and pleased me. Not one, I repeat, NOT ONE kilt was being worn below the centre of the knee, most being worn at the top of the knee cap and NOT ONE pair of white hose to be seen. Those things alone struck me as interesting, where did they learn this?Their parents, family, hire company(rest assured that there were hired outfits there). In the course of the next half an hour or so I was able to find out more.

Part two to follow in a wee while.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast