X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Where to Go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to Go?

We will be coming down to Albuquerque twice in the next month or so. Once to the VA Hospital, and once to pick up my MacDuff Ancient Hunting from Kathy Lare.
    I have only been to O'Neills, but recently found out that Two Fools has opened. I think it might deserve a visit.
    Are there any other Celtic Pubs that I should be aware of? Which places do you like best? I have not lived down there since '96.
    My current favorite for a quick bite is Brasserie Le Provence, but I would certainly not patronize that establishment while kilted if there was another option.
    Si Deus, quis contra? Spence and Brown on my mother's side, Johnston from my father, proud member of Clan MacDuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as Pubs go those two are the only that I know about.

I don't know much about quick lunch places, but a couple of good lunch or dinner places would be Yanni's, contemporary Greek food or Scalo's Italian food both in Nob Hill. If you want good specialty pizza place Il Vicino, in Nob Hill, or The Artichoke Cafe opened a really good pizza place about a block east of the cafe on Central.

If you're looking for a dinner spot try The Artichoke Cafe.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you enjoy your new Kathy Lare kilt as much as I have mine. She does a wonderful job and is such a pleasant person to work with.

If you would like to meet up during one of your trips, let me know.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know from pubs in Albuquerque but its the headquarters of Z Coil Shoes and you might wanna check out their flagship store out on River Road...

I'm a Sandia Peak tram junkie but guessing that's old hat if you've lived there before.

Do say hello to your kiltmaker and her husband for me.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure!

I will certainly pass both of your respects on to Kathy, and will also let you know when I am coming down to the big city!
    Si Deus, quis contra? Spence and Brown on my mother's side, Johnston from my father, proud member of Clan MacDuff!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot - you may be way ahead of me but I love the Rancher's Club. Top reputation for meat - I always get the buffalo. Buffalo filet you can cut like butter. Succulent.

There was a dress code requiring collared shirts. I've dined there kilted with never a mention of the kilt. But the shirt was collared.

http://www.theranchersclubofnm.com/
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say hello to Kathy for me as well!

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impatient

Sorry to say that I did a quick up and back to pick up my kilt from Kathy.
    It was either the single day round trip to get my kilt, or wait until the second week in April for an overnight.
    You do know what decision won!
    And, since it was a quick up and back, we only had time for 3 stops. Kathy's, Sam's Club, and the Indian restaurant on Cerillos Rd.
    I gave all of your regards to Kathy, and she had great things to say about you.
    At Sam's Club the greeter asked me if it was a special occasion, and I answered "Yes, its Tuesday". Then, as if almost on cue he asked how many Kilts I owned.
    At the Indian restaurant the waiter asked me what tartan I was wearing, and then added that someone else comes in there that wears a utilikilt.
    So, all in all, a successful first day out.
    Now...my darling wife is all for me getting a second kilt, so that I do not "ruin" the first one wearing it out and about on a constant basis.
    WhooHoo!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! First seven hours...a tribute to both Kathy's work and your legs.

Do turn around and go back and have some buffalo filet at the Rancher's Club...you missed out on succulent fare and elegant ambiance.