X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant Badges Growing in Your Garden

Forgive me if this isn't the place to post this thread (mod's please feel free to move it if needed) but given that there has been at least two threads that have been devoted to clan plant badges: here & here; I thought it'd be fun if those who have their clan's plant badge growing in their garden/on their property to post pictures of them here.

As I just recently added my clans plant badge to a rather bare spot on my property, I thought I'd kick off the proceedings:

The white heather, plant badge of the Macdonell's of Keppoch:

Though not a plant badge, I thought I'd mention this Irish tatting fern that was peeking out behind the heather in the above photo. I had lost one two years ago & was thrilled to see this one coming back just last week

In a planter box I have some purple heather, the plant badge for most of the branches of Clan Donald.
    Later this year I'll transplant it in a section of the property I have earmarked for it:
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What no dandelions!

A stand in for those in my garden!

Last edited by Mael Coluim; 24th March 10 at 08:13 PM.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    What no dandelions!
    They haven't sprouted up yet here!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    What no dandelions!
    Yeah, that's the one I grow...
    Eric

"Bones, Spock, Kirk - They were three different people from three different places. Especially Spock."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, where did you get your white heather plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    In a planter box I have some purple heather, the plant badge for most of the branches of Clan Donald.
    I believe this is slightly incorrect. Heath, the common plant badge for Clan Donald is a member of the Heather family, but the plant you show is Common Heather. That doesn't stop me from wearing it though as it grows all over the city and it's close enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothir Ethelnor View Post
    So, where did you get your white heather plant?
    The local nursery had a few.....most I see are the purplish or "candy cane" (go from white-to pink-to purple) variety.
    Here's a SW Scottish seller of heather: http://www.gallowayheathers.com/. I don't know if it can be imported, but if you can't locate white heather perhaps they can help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    I believe this is slightly incorrect. Heath, the common plant badge for Clan Donald is a member of the Heather family, but the plant you show is Common Heather. That doesn't stop me from wearing it though as it grows all over the city and it's close enough.
    Depends on who you ask. I've seen Heath listed, and I've seen other sources (including Clan Donald & the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs) list Heather / Common Heather. The problem with the wikipedia source is it lists Heath as an Australian plant, which wouldn't make much sense if it was being used as a plant badge by Clan Donald back in the 17th or 16th century (for instance) in the Scottish Highlands.

Be that as it may, I hope to see more pictures posted here soon
    Last edited by BoldHighlander; 24th March 10 at 10:18 PM. Reason: additional thoughts & info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Depends on who you ask. I've seen Heath listed, and I've seen other sources (including Clan Donald) list Common Heather. The problem with the wikipedia source is it lists Heath as an Australian plant, which wouldn't make much sense if it was being used as a plant badge by Clan Donald back in the 17th or 16th century (for instance) in the Scottish Highlands.

Be that as it may, I hope to see more pictures posted here soon
    Indeed, as do I.

[Edit] Interestingly I have discovered while reading further down the same link I cited in my previous post that common heath is taken to be heather. I was in error and am glad of it. I wore the heather today and will again tomorrow. In autumn I wear a fallen maple leaf. I'm an odd one that way, always putting flowers or leaves in my cap. I wrote a poem about it. As penance for my fault I shall share it here now. Out of season, but here it is.

Gather Leaves
    In a time of cooling passion
    And dipping sun
    I gather leaves to me
    Collecting ruby maple and ochre oak
    Yellow yew and ashen ash
    I gather leaves to me like new found friends
    And old ones, comfortable and trustworthy
    Holding chestnuts and acorns for security
    I gather leaves to me
    Those I can't embrace with my arms
    I hold with my eyes
    Some crimson and black
    As they leave their burgundy host
    Each leaf fall a note in the aria of autumn trees
    Tumbling to the refrain
    Relentless time beat out in tempo of decay
    Umber and fading on the ground
    Windswept and rainwashed away
    But one more for my hat
    I gather leaves to me.
    Last edited by xman; 26th March 10 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow lots of rosemary, and if there are any Bruces here I can send you some of it.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast