X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Google reminder. i just did a quick google books search, And found a relative that was recently a dead end! sorry for the mini hi jack. Google is truly your friend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few interesting thins to note:
    The Photocopier is ONLY 50 years old. Before that all records had to be transcribed, thereby bringing in possible error from the hands of the transcriber.

Getting a load of family tree work from someone else is always helpful for the direction it can take you, but verify each step of the way. The internet and modern digitisation has made it possible to sit on my fat backside here in the U.S. and read very auld source records in the U.K.. This has sped up the process of doing genealogy by quite a bit. The research that I did on my family tree forty years ago and cost me well over a year to do can be done in a day on the internet. I have been busy with others family research for so long that I had not worked on mine until recently. I drove through several earlier "brick walls" with ease because of records now being available that were not known to exist fifteen years ago.

Good luck and keep trying.
    Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duncan I King of Scottland

I guess I am very lucky to be able to trace my ancestry back to Duncan I. My ancestors arrived on North American shores to settle Jamestowne VA in 1607-10. I trace my ancestory back 400 years. Col George Reade arrived ca 1630. Through him I go back to Duncan I. Many of my Great Grandfathers were Celts (Scotland, Wales amd Ireland). My question is how Scottish do you have to be to belong to a clan. My father is 100% German but my mothers side is mostly Celtic and English. Walker and Russell are maternal surnames but I cannot prove either back to Scotland but have very strong suspicions. The "Bruce" was my second cousin. My ? Great Grandfather (his second cousin-Fought for England) was killed in the battle that brought him great fame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dg13 View Post
    I guess I am very lucky to be able to trace my ancestry back to Duncan I. My ancestors arrived on North American shores to settle Jamestowne VA in 1607-10. I trace my ancestory back 400 years. Col George Reade arrived ca 1630. Through him I go back to Duncan I. Many of my Great Grandfathers were Celts (Scotland, Wales amd Ireland). My question is how Scottish do you have to be to belong to a clan. My father is 100% German but my mothers side is mostly Celtic and English. Walker and Russell are maternal surnames but I cannot prove either back to Scotland but have very strong suspicions. The "Bruce" was my second cousin. My ? Great Grandfather (his second cousin-Fought for England) was killed in the battle that brought him great fame.
    dg: I think we're related I have similar lines that run to Duncan I as well as The Bruce.
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Cousin!

Who was your first ancestor to come to North America? Ann Sutton connects to Robert E Lee and I am related to Martha Eltonhead her daughter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking I may join Clan Donachehd. (SP) Robertson and Duncan as well as Reade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dg13 View Post
    Howdy Cousin!

Who was your first ancestor to come to North America? Ann Sutton connects to Robert E Lee and I am related to Martha Eltonhead her daughter.
    In these lines, we've been here a rather long time for Americans. First ancestor this side of the pond was Christian Bruce (1700-1770), Daughter of Thomas Bruce, Fordyce, Scotland (1664-1725). This is in my paternal great grandmother's line, however my paternal G-G-G-G grandfather is also from Scotland.

Bruce line for me begins with Christian, to Thomas, to James, to Patrick, to William, to Alexander, to Robert, to Robert, to Sir John Bruce etc to Robert The Bruce.
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Detroitpete,

Here is a very interesting site for you. If you sign up it is free for 30 days. It does show some of the descendants of Duncan I. maybe you can find ancestors here and then tract back to all kinds of famous personages. You have to look up by first name of title. Wierd but ypu'll get used to it. My ancestor is Col George Reade, so you would look under george first. The page of Duncan I should pop up for you. Good luck. Once you have IDed one person it will calculate the relationship between that person and others you may want to pick out.

http://www.royalist.info/execute/biog?person=534

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234