X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Washinton State - East of Tacoma and West of Rainer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for photes of Brian Boru Jacket for Converson

Fellow memembers. I obtain a shawl collar tails coat in my size (41 reg) on ebay. I want to make a Brian Boru out of it. I'm looking for some good photos or drawing of the cuffs and the back of the jacket. Havubf a rule in the picture woud also be a help. I've seen most of the photo on the web and they do not give me the details I need to make a crediable version of the jacket. I know that the cuff are diffent then a PC but I cannot figure out exactly how the cuf is done and none of the picture show the back of the jacket. Thank you to all.ith: BassbariJPM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did find a series of pictures with detail of front, cuffs, etc. from an online vendor. I'm reluctant to post them here because I don't remember where they came from, and can't give due credit (or a direct link).

Edit: Zardoz provided a link to the same set of photos I had saved -- thanks!
    Last edited by sydnie7; 7th April 10 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Zardoz provided the link
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some good views here;

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/mens-wear/k...mtm_brian_baru

I have been kicking this idea around myself. I have a couple of sources for shawl collar tailcoats saved, but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. I think when I do though, I'm gonna come up with something original for the cuffs and tails. I feel like the Brian Baru and Killkenny jackets are just 'Irished up' versions of the PC and Argyll, their design more commercial than 'traditional' .
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the Brian Boru is a "commerical" item. I'm of Irish heritage and just wanted something other then the the usual PC. I"ve thought about using standard Argyl Cuff as and option. I know that there is a simplicity pattern for a kilt jacket that has those in the package. What ever I do come up with I'll have to have a local tailor do the work. My sewing skills are limited to my xKilt. The more I can get ready at home the less the time with the tailor. I even consided velvet cuffs and back pocket flaps or a set of the single the trefoils found on the US Army Mess Dress uniform but done all in black. I'm a former infantry office amoungst other things. Many options but only one decission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the scotweb site. I still like to see if some could show me the back seam on the cuff and had a ruler in the photo for the cuff and tail pocket flaps. I will most likely do a mock up anyway to get it just right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the um,... horse's mouth

Our own MacMillan of Rathdown designed the BB jacket. Perhaps you could get him to elaborate on his ideas. I am fairly certain the cuff is the standard "Gauntlet" or bucket-style cuff from various other jackets. I can't recall seeing the back of a BB jacket anywhere.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Our own MacMillan of Rathdown designed the BB jacket. Perhaps you could get him to elaborate on his ideas. I am fairly certain the cuff is the standard "Gauntlet" or bucket-style cuff from various other jackets. I can't recall seeing the back of a BB jacket anywhere.

I think with MOR, it would be from "the horse's back."

I seem to remember it being described as having a bit of a tail like the PC. sydnie7 would know.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian Bour lapel and cuff design details

The basic difference between the ubiquitous PC and the Brian Boru jackets are the lapel (BB has a shawl lapel, and the PC a peaked lapel) and the cuff.

The BB has a peaked cuff with the peak in the center of the side of the sleeve, as opposed to the PC which lines up the peak with the seam along the back of the sleeve. Button placement is also different: the BB has either three or five buttons on the sleeve; one at the point, and two equally spaced on either side. Often the two buttons on the rear of the cuff are omitted for reasons (I suppose) of cost-- although I don't see where the savings of four buttons can make much of a difference!

I think you can probably get a decent view of the jacket on the Gaelic Themes website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    The basic difference between the ubiquitous PC and the Brian Boru jackets are the lapel (BB has a shawl lapel, and the PC a peaked lapel) and the cuff.

The BB has a peaked cuff with the peak in the center of the side of the sleeve, as opposed to the PC which lines up the peak with the seam along the back of the sleeve. Button placement is also different: the BB has either three or five buttons on the sleeve; one at the point, and two equally spaced on either side. Often the two buttons on the rear of the cuff are omitted for reasons (I suppose) of cost-- although I don't see where the savings of four buttons can make much of a difference!

I think you can probably get a decent view of the jacket on the Gaelic Themes website.

Thinking about it, I might prefer the BB cuffs to the PC's.

Doesn't the BB normaly have a chain closure like a mess jacket, as Well?
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Crocker View Post
    Thinking about it, I might prefer the BB cuffs to the PC's.

Doesn't the BB normaly have a chain closure like a mess jacket, as Well?
    Yes, it does, but whether or not it's used is up to the individual-- personally, I find they get in the way of my watch chain, but some guys really like the look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast