X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The RAF Tartan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The RAF Tartan

Having read a few threads in here it seems that the RAF Tartan enjoys a high degree of appeal, here is my take on it all.
    Being an Englishman with a name that has no Scottish connotation the question of entitlement to wear a kilt does trouble me and so, as a 24 year RAF Regiment soldier I felt that there was an entitlement. Now I know that the whole entitlement thing has recently lost any of its weight and a more liberal attitude towards it all has taken over but still, in order for me to justify it there has to be a link.
    So, why even bother? well my fiancee, a dyed in the wool highlander (pun semi intentional) and also Ex RAF is about to make an honest man of me. It was whilst both serving in Cyprus that we met and we have booked to return there and tie the knot. We will have a piper.
    I feel it to be an homage to her and her heritage to dress myself traditionally and to that end I will be wearing:
    black prince charlie and vest, Mess dress 'golf ball' pattern embossed shirt and black bow tie.
    RAF tartan kilt, not military cut, with a black and silver calfskin dress sporran
    Cream socks without adornment, teal tabs.
    Issue brogues, burnt down and 'bulled'.

How does that lot sound?

Now... would it be over dressing to add miniature medals? I have omitted the Plaid which came with the kilt that I got second hand off ebay.

I would like to add a device as a kilt pin that alludes to my RAF Regiment service as an addition to the generic RAF tartan but ebay and google seem to have no leads on that.
    I would welcome any input on anything I have written here be it positive or 'developmental...'
    Cheers all
    Tim.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a striking turnout - well thought out. I'm sure Arthur Mackie, the designer of the RAF tartan would approve. And he'd probably appreciate a wedding picture for the RAF tartan website www.kamrafa.co.uk/

It was a struggle for me to find a suitable kilt pin for my RAF tartan kilt - worn in rememberence of my father's service with 59 OTU in 1942. A friend gave me the gift of a Hopi pin with a thunderbird logo which I finally decided upon.

(shown on a different tartan)

Point is, you may wish your kilt pin to commemorate your marriage somehow, rather than also have an RAF theme.

And, again, this brings to light the apparent lack of an RAF themed kilt pin being available from kilt pin vendors. Would think perhaps the association could commission and offer the same....??

And, do consider taking your RAF tartan kilt along on your honeymoon.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the RAF tartan is one of my favourites. My RAF kilt is pleated to the sett to honour my late father's RAF service (my own service was limited to the ATC). As a serviceman you would be entitled to have your kilt pleated to the stripe, which would look very good indeed.
    Chas wore a RAF kilt and matching fly plaid to the Dumfries Burns Supper last Saturday evening and he looked very smart.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will already be on my honeymoon when we tie the knot

I had considered lovat blue socks as an option and I have a jacobite shirt in cream should I wish to dress the rig down for later in the day. A leather belt with my old regimental buckle will be on stand by.
    regarding pleating to the sett, it is a nice touch but is not necessary for me, had I bought it new i would have chosen this.

Photos will be in Kolossi Castle which has a nice traditional look to it. I am hoping she nicks the plaid and incorporates it into her outfit as that would be doubly appropriate for her. Maybe her RAF brooch in silver could be her 'something old'. she has themed the day with teal blue which has helped my decision to go this way.

NOW>> next thing...
    I may choose to deck out the best man who is still serving. I can't see any kilt hire place in england at least doing RAF Tartan. I see him either in government tartan or perhaps an RAF 'lookalike' in budget could be recommended??? anyone?

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim P View Post

NOW>> next thing...
    I may choose to deck out the best man who is still serving. I can't see any kilt hire place in england at least doing RAF Tartan. I see him either in government tartan or perhaps an RAF 'lookalike' in budget could be recommended??? anyone?
    If you can find one, the Douglas tartan was originally worn by the pipes and drums of RAF Halton, and the Grey Douglas was originally worn by RAF pipers in the 1930s.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the USAF, but know little about the RAF. Is there a RAF hat badge or something that can be used as a kilt pin?
    Regards, Bill McCaughtry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had considered lovat blue socks as an option
    Excellent, I usually wear Lovat Blue hose with my RAF tartan kilt.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billmcc View Post
    I was in the USAF, but know little about the RAF. Is there a RAF hat badge or something that can be used as a kilt pin?

I have considered this. I may settle for a pewter brooch of the crown and crossed rifles of the regiment. I am sure those are available somewhere. I want to avoid using the RAF cap badge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim P View Post
    I want to avoid using the RAF cap badge.
    Ok, here's another idea. Have a jeweler attach a small RAF insignia (like a lapel pin) to a standard sword kilt pin.

This is how Alexis does the US military kilt pins shown here: http://www.alexismalcolmkilts.com/1451/1469.html
    Regards, Bill McCaughtry

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not contact the RAF Pipe Band Association to see what the various bands wear as a kilt pin on the RAF tartan?

http://www.rafpba.com/

T.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast