X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iona jacket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Iona jacket

What say the rabble about the "Iona" jacket? They seem to be geared towards a contemporary look with a traditionally styled kilt. Cadet collar (also called mandarin, Mao, Nehru, or "collarless"), buttons the same colour as the jacket, simple style, kilt cut, etc. Does anyone own one? Like or dislike? Level of formality and suitable occasions to wear one?

They are available made to measure from MacKenzie Frain, off the rack fromKeith Scott, or both from The Kilt Centre.

These photos all show the infamous ruche cravat but one could just as easily wear a regular tie. What about wearing an Iona jacket with a shirt that has the same type of collar?

Mattatacat was asking about a jacket with this type of collar in the accessories forum. I posted these images there as well but thought I'd open it up to a wider discussion here in the general kilt talk section.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That jacket is very similar to the Norwegian Bunad jacket. I always thought that the bunad jacket would go well with the Kilt.
    Skål!
    [U]Oddern[/U]
    Kilted Norwegian
    [URL="http://www.kilt.no"]www.kilt.no[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.tartan.no"]www.tartan.no[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.no/people/Oddern-Norse/100000438724036"]Facebook[/URL]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddern View Post
    That jacket is very similar to the Norwegian Bunad jacket. I always thought that the bunad jacket would go well with the Kilt.
    Skål!
    Oddern, the Bunad jacket you write of is very nice and looks to me like it is cut high enough for kilt wear. Similar to the Iona but a bit more formal with the metal buttons and flat lapel/cadet collar combination. Have you ever tried one with a kilt?
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'd wear one.

Middle Grove, NY. Just outside Saratoga Springs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it! I like the look of the one with the rounded lower corners, rather than the squared off. Looks better to be next to the sporran.

Semiomniscient is offline Membership voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look. I think it's suitable for the highest levels of formality if worn correctly with all the niceties. I'm thinking about getting a nehru jacket and getting it cut down for the kilt. I absolutely dislike Prince Charlie coatees. And doublets are a little pricey for me. I don't think that you need the metal buttons for it to be formal in Highland attire, although it is certainly more traditional to do so. But those can always be adjusted to ones taste.
    I am a traditionalist of sorts, but I prefer the spirit of tradition over the cookie-cutter image of "Prince Charlies only" for semi-formal/formal wear. So new modern or "vogue" types of jackets are fine with me... but let's not kid ourselves, in 20 years we may look back at them like we look at powder-blue tuxedos from the 70's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a miss match of styles ..... An Argyll is by far the better choice. I think I must be getting old as it appears anything goes!
    Schiehallion kilted and true

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    What a miss match of styles ..... An Argyll is by far the better choice. I think I must be getting old as it appears anything goes!
    That's my first impression as well. The cut and style of the jacket just doesn't (to my eye) match a kilt. Maybe it's just that it's too "square" looking. Especially the first one. The second one is a bit better, with the rounded corners at the bottom, but it's still too flat across the bottom for my tastes.

I had never really thought about it before, but one of the things I really like about traditional kilt-cut jackets is the rounded/curved look of the whole thing. It compliments a kilt and sporran. When the look gets too boxy, it loses its appeal.

Seattle, WA: N 47° 40' 50.109";W 122° 17' 14.7726"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda like it! But I also agree with the statements about it being a bit to square. I'd like to see an alteration of this style to make the bottom of the jacket work better with the kilt and sporran.

But the top of the jacket looks nice, and I like that it's a different, contemporary look.
    The Barry

"Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis;
    voca me cum benedictis." -"Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath)

Semiomniscient is offline Membership voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barry View Post
    I kinda like it! But I also agree with the statements about it being a bit to square. I'd like to see an alteration of this style to make the bottom of the jacket work better with the kilt and sporran.

But the top of the jacket looks nice, and I like that it's a different, contemporary look.
    Now that you've all mentioned your opinions about it. I totally see what you're talking about. I focused much more on the collar style--which actually is pretty traditional if you consider the doublets. I think perhaps if this were cut differently (and it might be better to see it contrast with a tartan kilt). I'm not a fan of trying to understate the kilt into oblivion by having it match or nearly match the jacket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast