X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning Irish Gaelic

I am wanting to learn Irish Gaelic. I am actually the first generation on my mothers side who has not been taught it.. Mom spoke it in her early years but has been long since she used it, and well, she is not a good source.

What resources do you feel are the best to learn the language? What programs have you used that were not up to par? Do you have any experiences in using the language?

I travel a lot for work, so taking classes, locally is out of the question, so it would have to be either online, or media.

I appreciate any help and comments on my quest. If anyone is interested in making a joint venture in learing Irish Gaelic, PM and see what we can do..
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the cash try Rosetta Stone Irish. I have always been curious if this software is really good or not but if you can afford it I would definitely give it a try.
    http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-irish

Here is a review I found online for it.
    http://www.brighthub.com/education/l...ews/30537.aspx

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Pimsleur Irish program for a reasonably cheap and easy to follow beginner course. The lessons are on CD so they're perfect for commute learning. The older version has eight 1/2 hour lessons, the newer has ten. Get the newer one if you decide to go for it. You can probably find used copies on eBay.

Sláinte!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found this site too on Irish slang but have only poked around it a little.

http://www.irishslang.co.za/tips.htm
    "The fun of a kilt is to walk, not to sit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also trying to work in learning Irish Gaelic in anticipation of a trip to Ireland in September/October. Here is what I have found.

1. Rosetta Stone is expensive, but seems to work from reading user experiences. One not is that you cannot legally buy a version from an individual (craigslist, ebay, etc), but only from approved retailers (amazon, etc).
    2. I am thinking of trying the Irish Premium Edition from Transparent Language (I think the same people as BYKI). From the reviews of users it seems to be on par with Rosetta Stone for far less money $89 vs $480 (amazon).
    3. There are free resources out there: Erin's Web to BBC Alba

There seems to be a lot of people put off by Pimsleur regarding the trial offer and as such I am passing on their offering, but please do your own research on the subject before deciding on anything.

I also found a blog post comparing Rosetta Stone to Transparent Language and also providing additional Gaelic information.
    Last edited by DesertCeltic; 11th April 10 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCeltic View Post
    ... There seems to be a lot of people put off by Pimsleur regarding the trial offer and as such I am passing on their offering, but please do your own research on the subject before deciding on anything.
    I read a few negatives on the Pimsleur "trial offer." IMHO, there's no point to the trial offer. $49.95 for ten 1/2 hour lessons is a small price to pay for a convenient entry level course in Irish (we got ours for half that price on eBay). I've spent quite a bit of commute time with my set and can honestly state that for the price the Pimsleur program is the way to go for the beginner. I've worked through the 10 lessons several times (all while driving to and from work) and by doing so got a good, basic foundation in the language. The next step, other than physical immersion, would be a Rosetta Stone kind of program, but for the person just getting their feet wet I highly recommend Pimsleur. Why? It's cheap and convenient. "Wanting" to learn a language and actually putting the nose to the grindstone to become fluent in that language are different beasts. There's no way I would have considered the Rosetta Stone pricing without first knowing whether or not I was serious about learning Irish--is it just a passing fancy or will I eventually get immersed in a Gaeltacht. The Pimsleur lessons turned me (and my wife) on to the language. It's all "call and response" and very easy to follow (though getting an "ear" for Irish takes a little patience). These days my wife attends a weekly Irish speaking gathering (unfortunately, I'm unable to attend because of my schedule), we have several children's books for Irish learning, a couple of dictionaries (one for each direction), a slang collection or two, a small collection of films in Irish... etc.

OK, so just for fun, check out this short film: Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom
    Last edited by GDub; 11th April 10 at 09:06 AM. Reason: additional info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard nothing but good things about Rosetta Stone. I was a linguist for the military and wish I could have had a copy of it then. I may be getting a copy now, just to keep my skills up.