X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what's the next step? It seems to me: registering the tartan, then going after the legislators to introduce a bill or resolution, and Scottish societies to lobby in support of the effort....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    So, what's the next step? It seems to me: registering the tartan, then going after the legislators to introduce a bill or resolution, and Scottish societies to lobby in support of the effort....
    I like your enthusiasm, Brian, but so far there have been 10 responses from members besides you and me and I've had one private message dealing with the issue of using the Scotweb tartan designer. Of the 10 posts supporting the idea only 7 were from New Yorkers. Is that enough support to proceed and are we sure mine is the design to go with?

Assuming this is the design to go with, the next step would be to try to drum up some support and get someone in the legislature to sponsor a bill. The Scottish register of tartans will not accept a registration for a tartan for an organization or political entity (or a clan or family, for that matter) unless the registrant is actually entitled to decide that said tartan represents them. If that were not the case anyone who decided to design and register a New York State tartan could do so and there would probably be a dozen of them.

I presume that if the legislature approves the tartan then only the Secretary of State of the State of New York would have the standing to actually register the design as the official NYS tartan.

One hurdle could be that members of the legislature might want to see some of the actual cloth woven -a request that would be reasonable - and I can't even afford a kilt, let alone having special order cloth woven.

If there's anyone here who's been involved with this process it'd be nice to hear from them

Regards,

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize I'm overly enthusiatic, but then again I can see the whole process getting bogged down with endless debate, competing designs, etc., and ultimately going nowhere - which would be a shame. Hopefully more New Yorkers will weigh in with their opinions soon.
    Separately from X-Marks, I think I'll email your design to all of my various celtic-oriented contacts, including the local Scottish Society, to see what kind of response it inspires....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    I realize I'm overly enthusiatic, but then again I can see the whole process getting bogged down with endless debate, competing designs, etc., and ultimately going nowhere - which would be a shame. Hopefully more New Yorkers will weigh in with their opinions soon.
    Separately from X-Marks, I think I'll email your design to all of my various celtic-oriented contacts, including the local Scottish Society, to see what kind of response it inspires....
    Brian,

I don't believe you're overly enthusiastic at all, in fact, I appreciate it. It's gratifying that you like my design that much - thank you!

I like the idea of drumming up support outside the forum and it sounds like you have some contacts. It would be helpful if we knew someone with political connections, but I'm sure we can discover somebody.

I'm still not convinced this is the final design to go with, but we have to start somewhere .

Regards,

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give this thread a little more time to reach the masses...I know there are several board members of the Rochester Scottish Heritage Society on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Jeeper View Post
    Give this thread a little more time to reach the masses...I know there are several board members of the Rochester Scottish Heritage Society on this forum.
    Maybe you could pass the word? Nudge, nudge...wink, wink .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any Scottish Societies in NY that hold regular meetings? If so maybe you could attend with a print out of your lovely design and appeal to them directly. Good work on it, by the way!
    elim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat revised version of my proposed NYS tartan

Post deleted
    Last edited by Brian K; 28th April 10 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted
    Last edited by Brian K; 28th April 10 at 08:03 PM.

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought by using the Scotweb designer, and by saving your design, that was enough to confirm the terms of using it and thereby accepting the terms and conditions, and all the restrictions that come with it.If you now use a different tartan designer with a previous design, I don't see that you wouldn't still fall under the conditions of Scotweb.In any case by posting it on here everyone knows that you have used the Scotweb software.
    Please correct me if I am wrong

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast