X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan Tartan Fact Check

While I pursue my goal of losing 10 percent of my weight, and hopefully rediscovering my natural waist, I am considering a kilt as a suitable present for my 50th birthday, nine months hence. The consideration of a first tartan and the research of genealogy seem, for me, to be inextricably linked. Following are my best estimates of applicable tartans based on my mother’s maiden name and three of my great-grandparents surnames. They are based on limited genealogical research and what I found on the internet that seemed at least somewhat reliable. I would appreciate any fact checking you might provide.

McElmurry: Ulster-Scots by family oral history, included in the modern amalgamated Clan Morrison. Tartans include various Ulster district and Morrison Clan and Society patterns.

McCullom: Married a McElmurry in Arkansas so my best guess is Ulster-Scot. Possible distant Malcolm Clan connection. Tartans include various Ulster district and Clan Malcolm patterns.

Crichton: Scottish by family oral history. Clan Crichton uses the Edinburgh district tartan.

Mitchell: Married Crichton, Scottish by family oral history. Several clans and/or districts are possibilities but I need to trace genealogy back to know for certain.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest you start with your own surname and work backwards, preference given to male descent, i.e., mother's maiden surname, then paternal grandmother's surname, then maternal grandmother's surname, etc. until you reach a tenable conenction to a clan. I'm assuming based on your screename that McElmurray is your mother's maiden name. It seems to be a anglicization of MacGilleMhoire, so I think I'd go down the Morrison route. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to continue to do the geneaology work until you get back to Scotland. Best of luck!

Cordially,

David

Quote Originally Posted by McElmurry View Post
    While I pursue my goal of losing 10 percent of my weight, and hopefully rediscovering my natural waist, I am considering a kilt as a suitable present for my 50th birthday, nine months hence. The consideration of a first tartan and the research of genealogy seem, for me, to be inextricably linked. Following are my best estimates of applicable tartans based on my mother’s maiden name and three of my great-grandparents surnames. They are based on limited genealogical research and what I found on the internet that seemed at least somewhat reliable. I would appreciate any fact checking you might provide.

McElmurry: Ulster-Scots by family oral history, included in the modern amalgamated Clan Morrison. Tartans include various Ulster district and Morrison Clan and Society patterns.

McCullom: Married a McElmurry in Arkansas so my best guess is Ulster-Scot. Possible distant Malcolm Clan connection. Tartans include various Ulster district and Clan Malcolm patterns.

Crichton: Scottish by family oral history. Clan Crichton uses the Edinburgh district tartan.

Mitchell: Married Crichton, Scottish by family oral history. Several clans and/or districts are possibilities but I need to trace genealogy back to know for certain.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, thank you for your response. Yes, McElmurry is my Mother's maiden name. We know John McElmurry emigrated from Ulster about 1750 but have not yet traced his parents in Ulster. As you said, the Gaelic name most often referenced as a precursor to McElmurry is Mac Gille Mhoire. The name means the son of the servant of Mary and is reported to have originated in multiple places including Lewis, Harris, and Ulster. This is not surprising given the popularity of the name Mary. I am sure the Clan Morrison Society would have me whether from Ulster or the Hebrides. My main reason for posting was to see if some of you scholarly types could confirm or deny the link between McElmurry and Mac Gille Mhoire. Just because it is spread all over the internet does not make it true.