X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this helps any, the overwhelming majority of my customers are Southerners!
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I ever wore a kilt was to junior high graduation when I was 14. My parents were supportive and helped me to beg, borrow, and cobble together an acceptable, formal outfit. There were certainly some people who were whispering but nobody bold enough to say anything to my face... this was in the rather conservative West of Canada.

I'd say just make sure your son has a proper outfit and go for it!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

MacBean is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the school my children attended, the boys decide how they will dress for graduation. Kilts are one of the options they often choose, but then they all do it. As the Chinese say, "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to beat a dead horse but simply to offer a bit of supporting discussion for kilts in the South, Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and Stone Mountain Highland Games, essentially the largest games in the country are in the South. Just here in GA we have at least 5 vendors that heavily cater to kilt-wearers world wide. Tyger Forge, Fergusson Brit, Thorfinn Custom Sporrans, Ryan Ross Balmorals and Oconee Leather Works. Stretch that to NC and Tennessee and you pick up several more with the Scottish Tartans Museum and Tennessee Sgians. I'm sure there are a few other shops I've missed.
    Last edited by cavscout; 4th May 10 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything Steve said, x2.

His relationship with his peers is probably the critical factor. If he doesn't care what they think, go for it. If they respect him, go for it. If he's the odd one out anyway, sure, go for it. If he's on the edge of acceptance or ridicule and wants to become part of the pack, best not make waves, or build up some credit with his peers prior to going out on a limb.

(edit...sorry...I forgot, he's 11! He's young enough to get away with it. Be supportive, and make sure he looks the part! I was thinking of high school & jr high)

-Sean

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay...guys..."so many" ≠ "all". My point was that I was surprised that there were any situations of kilt un-acceptance in the Southern USA not that they were all in the South.

Best

AA

Around a big hunk of granite..Stone Mountain GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to kilt or not to kilt...to KILT!!!!!

My son went throught with wearing his kilt to his grammer school graduation. I was so proud of him because he did not care what people thought. There were mixed emotions...some good...some bad. But what I was suprised at, is the the school allowed him to wear it. I told him not to speak of it. Just show up attired in his kilt. I packed a pair of pants for him (incase they made him change or if he changed his mind). I never saw so much confidence in him EVER!!! thank you for all who replied. His dad was againts it and his grandmother. They did not even attend. And they disliked the pictures. Thanks for visiting and supporting this site. My son read the replies and was filled with the confidence it took to walk down that isle in front of hundreds of strangers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends so much on the child and how much value he puts on what peers think of him. Wish the best of luck to him though, knock em dead

It appears I'm slightly late :P Sounds like he already knocked em dead ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    My son went throught with wearing his kilt to his grammer school graduation. I was so proud of him because he did not care what people thought. There were mixed emotions...some good...some bad. But what I was suprised at, is the the school allowed him to wear it. I told him not to speak of it. Just show up attired in his kilt. I packed a pair of pants for him (incase they made him change or if he changed his mind). I never saw so much confidence in him EVER!!! thank you for all who replied. His dad was againts it and his grandmother. They did not even attend. And they disliked the pictures. Thanks for visiting and supporting this site. My son read the replies and was filled with the confidence it took to walk down that isle in front of hundreds of strangers.
    Good on 'im! And as for the party pooper in-laws, well ... they're just a pair of party poopers now aren't they.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kickass.

I can probably guess why his father and grandmother weren't for it...some people get confused about the nature of one unbifurcated garment and the next. Tell them not to worry...despite the efforts of some to muddy the waters, kilts are kilts and nothing else, and I'm sure he'll be throwing cabers and picking up pretty girls in no time .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12