X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perils of youth-I may have trashed a treasure

Hi all-
    Having been involved in the Scottish American scene since birth 39 years ago (My GOD...I'm almost 40!!), I have seen pretty much everything, everyone, and everything in-between. Since I've been a piper since the age of 8, as I progressed into my teens and frequently used my bagpipes to show off and let it be known what my "thing" was (Much to my neighbors angst). As a youth, I HATED wearing kilts..My mother would make me, and it was my bane in life!!! If I wasn't performing with my local pipe band, it was a serious battle for me to wear one. Of course that changed in my teens when I realized the attention it garnered ;-).
    That being said, it seemed that people that knew me would give me things Scottish-Neighbors, friends, etc. I was an easy receptacle for those that wanted to rid their attic of a tartan blanket, or porcelain Scotty dog......you get the picture. One gift i received from someone who knew someone who knew someone was a pair of ANCIENT kilts. One Black Watch and One Cameron of Erract. They had been in someone's closet who's parents had emigrated from Scotland in the 40's and had been in the attic in a trunk that was never unpacked and were going to be thrown away. Mnd you this was in the mid-80's before eBAy and the internet. Someone knew of this kid in the neighborhood who might like them, thus they were given to me. I think I was about 16.

These kilts were OBVIOUSLY military. I remember them being of thick wool and I remember them being in REALLY bad shape. The Cameron was just to big for me, so I never wore it around, but the Black Watch was PERFECT. The Black Watch kilt had no straps and buckles. My mother actually tailored those on for me. It was AWESOME. It did have buttons on it that I assumed were for suspenders. OK-My point-One thing that struck me about this kilt was that the sett was large AND HAD NO BLUE in it. It was dark green with an olive green mix and black stripes. It was EXACTLY like the Black Watch sett, just with no blue. Anyway, I used this kilt as my "Trasher"-Going to a party, thats what I'd wear. Going into the Appalachians, thats what I'd wear. It got some good use.....Until my friend and I went to see the pogues. I let him wear my Cameron kilt, and sparing making this an even longer post, I'll just say that by the time the show was over, the rowdiness, beer, and fighting had left my kilt and the one of mine my friend was wearing in de-pleated shape. Ripped fabric, ripped fell.....Both were ruined. We ended up pulling over behind the Decatur Baptist church and throwing both into a dumpster........
    As a vendor, I get to talk to a lot of really interesting people. I recounted this story in a conversation the other day to a caller while we talked about vintage kilts and such. I happened to mention the odd colors of the tartan and that some sort of fading must have happened. I called it a WW1 kilt, but after describing it with NO buckles and a green dominant sett, he said it was more likely a kilt from the Crimean conflict!!!!! OMG!!!!!! This kilt WAS NOT military box pleated, so I don't know if that debunks that theory, not have I been able to find a replica picture of the sett, except for a painting -

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-thread-51487/

Its the 2ns pic -John 4th earl of densmor. The coloring of hiss sett on his belted plaid is EXACTLY the same color. My kilt was certainly tailored, but does anyone have any idea about the sett, or have any idea about the age of the kilt I trashed....Just wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ouch!

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this helps but it says John Murray, 4th Earl of Dunmore was
    Born 1732 - Died 1809

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things you learn in middle age is that there will be many things you do in life, and many thing you don't do, that will be cause for regret. Usually, there is little value in such regrets. If you did trash something of historical value, at least you did not harm a person, or yourself. If fact, you do not know the exact age or historical value of the kilt you trashed with any certainty. The likelihood of it being some rare textile that would make Matt Newsome's academic career is probably quite small. Even if it was, regrets over such a matter should not keep you up at night. It is more fitting to regret the love you walked away from, the friend you did not defend vigorously enough, the time you could have held your tongue and spared someone's feelings...If you live a full life, you will have many more weighty matters to cause you regret. On that light and whimsical note, cheer up!
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobs hit the nail on the head. All in all it sounds like you had a helluva good time at that concert, and in the end learned a bit about appriciating antiques.

I'm kinda curious about that tartan too. I wouldn't mind a kilt in it if it could be identified.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Martin recounts that some of the Black Watch kilts in WWI went through some unusual color fading and looked rather like you described, because of exposure to mustard gas. I beleive he used to own one like that, once upon a time. So that could explain it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve “loved and lost” too and done things in callow youth I perhaps shouldn’t have !

a) My Dad’s WW2 bush hat. It wasn’t the Gurkha double Terai he wore during the Burma campaign with S.O.E. On returning to India before sailing back to Blighty for demob, he left SOE and returned to Army control. He was issued cool-weather clothing for the journey home including left-overs from the oddments bin ! - including an Aussie bush-hat, a Kiwi mounted troops greatcoat (longer than the infantry type) and a pair of African troops’ ammo boots (African boots were wider and rounder than standard British issue). The boots and hat ended up at our home. Many moons later, I decided to butcher his hat to make it look more like a Gallipoli hat. He didn’t mind but I shouldn’t have done that. My bad !

b) When I worked in Edinburgh, I used to pass an antiques shop in Thistle St every day. In 1972, I stopped and looked in the window where I noticed a pair of 1829-1855 (inc Crimean War period) British full-dress officer’s gold bullion-fringed epaulettes in spanking condition, plus a pair of undress officer’s epaulettes, plus their japanned metal storage/carrying case. Every day I passed, day after day, days into weeks. Then I couldn’t stand it any longer. I asked how much. The price for all was £20.00 ! But then for me, a young trainee, it was still expensive. I thought about it for a few days then one night summoned up the courage to ask my parents. They said yes !!! Next morning, I slipped out of the office and sprinted to the antiques shop. I couldn’t see them. I asked but they said they had been sold THAT MORNING !!! My motto ever since – If you see something you really, really want (of which this might be the only one available) and there’s any way to get it – then get it !! Don’t wait – you’ll regret it !!

c) My hearing isn’t all it used to be and hasn’t been for some time. Reason ? Rock music – both in my earphones top-volume for long periods and all those very, very loud concerts I went to. The loudest for me was Deep Purple in 1974 (it was truly deafening – lost my hearing for all the next day, just a whistling sound), though The Who concerts I went to were supposed to be louder (as in Guinness Book of Records). Did I regret it ? Not one bit !! I’d do the same again !!

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys-
    No regrets-i was a kid, so i DO NOT beat myself up for any stupidity performed at that age (Which is slipping further and further away). I was just curious if I actually did have such an ancient kilt due to the color scheme. MUSTARD GAS?!?!?!? Maybe thats why I'd always get rashes when I wore----just kidding---I think it must have been WW 1 because I jsut can't believe something could last almost 120 years and then survive a years worth of rugged teen-age use and not fall apart (Until we had to take on some rivals that night at the show). Anyway, thanks for your input. As I said-i'm not losing any sleep about it.....The only thing I regret in my life is that I smoked cigarettes for so long....Other than that-Life is fun and good!

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
    c) My hearing isn’t all it used to be and hasn’t been for some time. Reason ? Rock music – both in my earphones top-volume for long periods and all those very, very loud concerts I went to. The loudest for me was Deep Purple in 1974 (it was truly deafening – lost my hearing for all the next day, just a whistling sound), though The Who concerts I went to were supposed to be louder (as in Guinness Book of Records). Did I regret it ? Not one bit !! I’d do the same again !!
    It was the mighty Motörhead for me!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast