X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warm weather kilt jackets?

Some people like the variegated color and texture of tweed jackets for daywear, especially as opposed to worsted or barathea solids, which tend to be unnecessarily somber in black and even navy. Of course, when the temperature is well above 80 degrees fahrenheit, this can be a problem. Has anyone got an Argyll or Crail type jacket made up in raw silk or linen, or a blend of one of these fibres with wool? For instance, something like this:

http://www.jpressonline.com/sportcoa...etail.php?ix=3

or this:

http://www.jpressonline.com/sportcoa...etail.php?ix=6

(Both from J Press, of New Haven CT, USA)

or even this:

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20...AIRN-TWEED.jpg

This last is from the nice people at Bookster, in Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire ( where hurricanes hardly ever happen) . And before anyone says so, none of these links shows a kilt jacket. That is why I am asking if anyone has such a coat. Oh, yes, and please, I'd rather see only pictures of gentlemen below the rank of Duke, preferably even X Marks members. Those wishing to discuss the Duke of Rothesay and his wardrobe further may consult previous threads.

Anticipatorily,

M'll
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Darth Gilmore was talking about having a seersucker jacket made up into a daywear jacket after he got back from India, or where ever he is. I don't know if it was to have Argyle cuffs, etc.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an Ebay vendor selling bespoke linen kilt jackets and waistcoats. They looked pretty good. I looked to see if they were still selling them, but not seeing them selling anything at the moment.... their selling name was acolander.
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Very Rev'd Allan Maclean of Dochgarroch has a linen kilt jacket:

http://www.clanmacleanatlantic.org/p...2006-rec.html#
    Last edited by JSFMACLJR; 16th May 10 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeper83 View Post
    There was an Ebay vendor selling bespoke linen kilt jackets and waistcoats. They looked pretty good. I looked to see if they were still selling them, but not seeing them selling anything at the moment.... their selling name was acolander.
    The store name is Major Slacker's HIT Emporium, and the link to the bespoke linen kilt jacket/weskit is here: http://stores.ebay.com/Major-Slacker...mporium?_rdc=1

While I have not yet purchased this item from acolander, I have purchased many other items from him over the last two years, and have had a great experience doing so--always prompt, courteous and professional. I recommend them. Cheers!
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

MacBean is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a silk or linen jacket, but silk stains in water while linen wrinkles so readily. They sound pretty high maintenance to me (though lovely).

I liked the photos of Alan MacLean. I've not seen him use that tartan; looks nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
    I liked the photos of Alan MacLean. I've not seen him use that tartan; looks nice.
    Well, since he's a MacLean he wears that tartan quite a bit.

I know what you mean, though: one usually sees him wearing the hunting tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

high maintenance?

MacBean, Your questions are valid, but I am not so sure "raw" silk stains that way. Maybe it just doesn't show as much. I am thinking of the kind that looks a little like burlap. You see it sometimes made up into herringbones and the like. From a distance, it looks a lot like wool tweed. As for linen wrinkling, I don't think jackets do it as much as shirts and trousers, because of the way they sit on your body. And, when blended with wool, you lose some of that wrinkle anyway. On the other hand, all silk or all linen, or silk and linen, would all be moth-proof. My thanks to all who have responded. The weather here on the wrong side of the tracks was well over 80 today and is likely to be that way every day until Columbus Day, or nearly.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MacLowlife, I have some silk that is woven in what might be a twill, and of the texture of which you are describing. If it were a heavier fabric, it might work, though it would require a lot of interfacing in the sleeves etc, to keep it from looking like an over sized, long sleeved shirt.

In fact, I think the key to all of this hot weather jacket business might be in the interfacing.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned elsewhere, I have a linen kilt jacket and waistcoat on order from Major Slacker and will report back later as to my degree of satisfaction once the ensemble has arrived.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast