X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethnic Group Recognition in Nova Scotia

Mods: I'm not sure if this thread should be here, move if you wish to a more appropriate forum.

I got an email over the weekend regarding recognizing people of Scottish descent here in Nova Scotia as an ethnic group. Although not myself of Scottish origin or even of Nova Scotian origin, I certainly believe that Nova Scotia wouldn't have the same 'flavour' if not for the descendants of the original Scottish settlers.

If you wish to join the campaign I reproduce the email here:

People of Scottish descent and friends of the culture please spread the word

Subject: Letters needed or e-mails to get this on the floor of the Assembly

Dear Friends and neighbours;

We need you to write letters and get as many to sign as possible and send to M.L.A. Clarrie MacKinnon Help has been offered to us by Clarrie MacKinnon, M.L.A. please read below - pass on to your friends....

OUR FIGHT DOES NOT END WITH THE SHIP HECTOR! Read on.......

We (people of Scottish descent) are not considered an Ethnic Group in Nova Scotia!
    We of Scottish descent are considered
    "British Subjects"
    This affects us in many ways, especially when dealing with the government and applying for Grants.

M.L.A. Clarrie MacKinnon is willing to put this on the floor of the house this fall. However he wants letters and more letters from you, the Clans, and the people of Nova Scotia to back up his proposal, "To recognize the people of Scottish Culture in Nova Scotia as an Ethnic Group".

To be an Ethnic group you must have your "own language, dress, food, music and customs".
    We fit this category.
    However we must FIGHT FOR IT! Clarrie says he needs "lots of letters"! WE NEED YOUR HELP TO GET THIS TO THE FLOOR OF THE HOUSE THIS FALL.

Please write to:
    M.L. A. Clarrie MacKinnon, N.D.P.
    Caucus Office,
    Centennial Building, Suite 1001,
    1660 Hollis St.,
    P. O. Box 1617,
    Halifax, B3J 2Y3
    Telephone: 902-424-4134 Fax: 902-424-0504
    Or to:
    Constituency Office:1905 Main Street, Box 914 Westville NS, NS B0K 2A0
    Phone: (902) 396-1853Fax: (902) 396-1803
    Or to:
    E-Mail: clarriemla@ns.aliantzinc.ca

Please try to get all the members of your Clan / Organization /Band/
    Musical Society/Dance Group/etc. to write or send e-mails and any friends you have as well.
    Draft the letter if you have to and ask them to sign it.

Sample Letter below:

M.L.A. Clarrie MacKinnon
    (address as above)

I am writing to inform you of my support for the people of Scottish Culture in this province to be known as an "Ethnic Group". They (we) are citizens of this province who have had their own definite impact on this province, both in the history of settling this province, the School system and Religion of this province, and all other aspects.

In 1986 they established a date known as Tartan Day in this province which has now spread world- wide. Every four years we hold the International Gathering of the Clans in Nova Scotia. Pictures of our culture are found in the Tourism books. They (we) have maintained their music, language, dance, native dress, and culture, and should be recognized as an Ethnic Group within this province by the Provincial Legislative Assembly.

You may expand upon this letter as much as you wish.

Respectfully,

(Your name, address /or e-mail)

The Scottish Fiery Cross is out in Nova Scotia - please help. Rally to the support of our Culture! We can't do this without everyone's help.

Sincerely,
    Jean Watson, jean.watson2@ns.sympatico.ca
    Chairperson for the 2011 International Gathering of the Clans
    Federation of Scottish Clans in Nova Scotia
    902-864-1994

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " They (we) are citizens of this province "

not unnaturally, it appears that they really need letters ( & etc.) from residents of Nova Scotia - might worth noting the connection bwt the name of the province and those of Scottish descent?
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quebecois were recently granted a similar status and I see no reason why Nova Scotians should not be declared in the same light. Newfoundlanders may claim the same recognition as primarily Irish descendants.

I am an eighth generation Canadian, my Scottish heritage stretching back to the dawn of the nineteenth century on these shores. Mine is the first generation to be raised outside of NS and the first in many off Cape Breton island (Pictou before that). I wonder if I rate as part of that 'Ethnic Group'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    " They (we) are citizens of this province "

not unnaturally, it appears that they really need letters ( & etc.) from residents of Nova Scotia - might worth noting the connection bwt the name of the province and those of Scottish descent?
    There are many Nova Scotians who live outside the province and many other Canadians that might feel the need to lend support to this effort. I also believe that anyone, anywhere has the right to voice an opinion on this matter. Even the Scots themselves if they feel the need to help their distant family can send a quick email to Clarrie. After all, it's only an opinion that's needed, not your vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With deep roots going back to Scotland via (New Scotland) Nova Scotia (Cape Briton) - My Father was born and raised in Cape Briton and retired on the Mira River...

My Last name reflects my roots, when I wear my kilt I am telling folks I am a Scot. When I look up at the flag of nova Scotia and see the Cross of St Andrews with the rampant lion in the middle...

I know what my roots are, I know where my family came from, I know what blood flows through my veins....I have also made sure my children know these things.....I do not need a Government agency to tell me who or what I am...