X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that cloth buttons are incredibly rare. I have only seen them twice (in all my long 27 years of life ) and both times they were sported by clan chiefs during a daywear event.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with it, but it's definitely unusual and I think some people would be inclined to associate cloth covered buttons with cheat rental outfits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true... I was thinking only of silver and gold, but there are photos floating around here somewhere of a Duke or an Earl wearing a doublet with copper buttons in the shape of salmon...
    Oddment in Residence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    delete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D.A. Guertin View Post
    This is true... I was thinking only of silver and gold, but there are photos floating around here somewhere of a Duke or an Earl wearing a doublet with copper buttons in the shape of salmon...
    Hmm, there are photos out and about of a duke and a baronet wearing doublets with silver salmon buttons. I haven't seen any pics of the said peer and the said baronet with copper buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well could be one in the same; I don't recall.
    Oddment in Residence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Hmm, there are photos out and about of a duke and a baronet wearing doublets with silver salmon buttons. I haven't seen any pics of the said peer and the said baronet with copper buttons.
    Hmmm, I wonder who those fine gentlemen could be? I absolutely love their doublets by the way! Do you think my Chief, the honorable Sir William Alan Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, TD would be opposed to me having buttons on my evening doublet made up of silver Scottish wildcats? Perhaps I should ask him myself in October?! I was being extremely sarcastic; on a more serious note however: as long as the wildcat buttons are indeed in the same form of my own personal crest (and not Cluny's or no one elses for that matter), since I am an Armiger registered within the Lyon Court, then indeed I would be correct-I have seen this topic being addressed in another area on XMTS.

Aye,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder who those fine gentlemen could be? I absolutely love their doublets by the way! Do you think my Chief, the honorable Sir William Alan Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, TD would be opposed to me having buttons on my evening doublet made up of silver Scottish wildcats? Perhaps I should ask him myself in October?! I was being extremely sarcastic; on a more serious note however: as long as the wildcat buttons are indeed in the same form of my own personal crest (and not Cluny's or no one elses for that matter), since I am an Armiger registered within the Lyon Court, then indeed I would be correct-I have seen this topic being addressed in another area on XMTS.

Aye,
    Kyle, I think wildcat buttons would be a splendid use of heraldry. You could go all out and have actual wildcat buttons, a la Argyll and Duart's salmon, or do as I did, and have my crest added to round buttons:

I chose this route because of the risk of the beaver's Lochaber axe snagging on my dancing partners frocks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful! Thanks for the advice Sandy and I absolutely love your buttons by the way! I am seriously thinking about having custom buttons made, yet I must order my bespoke velvet doublet first. I currently wear a bespoke, barathea Regulation Doublet for evening dress, and do not wish to alter the buttons-as I like to keep that style of doublet as understated and simple as possible-though I do wear a tartan or scarlet waistcoat with it for various formal occasions. Good thinking with regards to the Lochaber axe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, here are some stunning buttons, belonging to Angus Maclaine of Lochbuie the Younger. They are seals, from the supporters of his father's coat of arms. I wish Young Lochbuie had a nicer doublet, but since the pic was taken quite awhile ago, maybe he is found a new one!

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, I am certain that Cluny would support your choice of YOUR crest for buttons or cuff-links or whatever. That device as assigned to you belongs to you and not to any other -- even Cluny. The cat we claim in common makes a fine symbol of our common central Highlands past and IMHO we should all make greater use of it. And give it protection.

Rex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast