X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slag101 View Post
    I get it. From one re-enactor to another, just let them keep tottering on about it till the thread dies from loss of interest. You tried, and hopefully the original person can get the info they want.

I won't even go near the fact that a Dickens Festival is off, let alone one in the USA. Isn't being miserable, poor, dirty, and having a tragic back story a requirement to truly celebrate in the Dickens tradition?

Woodsheal, my main concern is what is the proper thread count on a Dickens era frock, and are the button holes hand sewn? (only the re-enactors will get this)
    Stitch-counting authenticity Nazi!!
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Woodsheal;886865]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

I have told this true story before and perhaps you may have missed it first time around....

QUOTE]

A great story, Jock. It's why I asked if the drawings/paintings were based in reality or not.

I find it somewhat astonishing that the kilt just totally died as an everyday, common man's working garment (if it truly did) after three or four centuries in such a role. What prompted such a change? The Proscription of 1746? That was rather short-lived and never heavily enforced, especially amongst the pro-Hanoverian clans. Lack of tartan wool? Hardly! By the early 1800s it was being woven in quantities never before seen.

What changed the kilt from being the poor man's garment to the rich man's indulgence?

This would be a good topic for a new thread...!
    Brian, start that new thread by doing a cut-and-paste with what you said above. I'll certainly participate because your question is well asked. You may have to keep everyone on the topic though

Rex

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    It appears on a thread like this, that despite what Jock and Thistledown have to say, that some will just keep plugging away until they Finally get the answer they were seeking all along!
    A shopkeeper may well have worn an apron over his regular lowland clothes, and would try to dress within his station, and probably this would mean a provincial interpretation of current London trends.
    And if you had been paying attention, the Dickens festival itself is not a strict interpretation of history, (see photo thread here), but rather a lighthearted, fun festival.

So what if the OP wants to have a wee bit of fun with his persona, & also stand out from all the others on vendor row?

This isn't Colonial Williamsburg or Old Sturbridge Village after all
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slag101 View Post
    Woodsheal, my main concern is what is the proper thread count on a Dickens era frock, and are the button holes hand sewn? (only the re-enactors will get this)
    I get it
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Stitch-counting authenticity Nazi!!
    Hey! I've resembled* that remark!

(*former member: Von Prueschenk's Jäger Coy - Brigade of the American Revolution & Militär-Verein Germania aka "the dark side" )
    Last edited by BoldHighlander; 29th May 10 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, with all due respect to everyone, I don't know what we are on about in this thread.

Ken originally posted: "Last year we managed to throw together some appropriate-enough clothing from my accumulated historical clothing, but this year we want to do things more correctly. We're starting this project now to allow plenty of time before we need it.

So, what would a common Highland Scots shopkeeper or merchant wear in the 1840's or 1850's?"

The answer to his question is: "pretty much as would be worn in London in the same years."

We all assumed that he wants to wear a kilt because he asked about "correct" dress for a Highland shopkeeper on a kilt forum. All that was said was that "the kilt was not worn by shopkeepers in the Highlands." There was no judgement in those answers, they were just simply answers to the question he asked.

He has decided he wants to wear a kilt anyway. Good for you, Ken!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    You know, with all due respect to everyone, I don't know what we are on about in this thread.

Ken originally posted: "Last year we managed to throw together some appropriate-enough clothing from my accumulated historical clothing, but this year we want to do things more correctly. We're starting this project now to allow plenty of time before we need it.

So, what would a common Highland Scots shopkeeper or merchant wear in the 1840's or 1850's?"

The answer to his question is: "pretty much as would be worn in London in the same years."

We all assumed that he wants to wear a kilt because he asked about "correct" dress for a Highland shopkeeper on a kilt forum. All that was said was that "the kilt was not worn by shopkeepers in the Highlands." There was no judgement in those answers, they were just simply answers to the question he asked.

He has decided he wants to wear a kilt anyway. Good for you, Ken!
    Your correct Rex, and I apologize if my earlier post in response to Micric's implication seemed a wee bit harsh in tone.

I have no problem with yours or Jock's replies, you both have shared some great info.

Having said that, as I'd tell the citizens after a disturbance on the job site:
    "move along folks, nothing further to see"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Your correct Rex, and I apologize if my earlier post in response to Micric's implication seemed a wee bit harsh in tone.

I have no problem with yours or Jock's replies, you both have shared some great info.

Having said that, as I'd tell the citizens after a disturbance on the job site:
    "move along folks, nothing further to see"
    :ootd: Ah, peace in the family

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BoldHighlander,

No sweat old chap, I was always told I didn't pay attention at school as well!
    I think I can be a bit ascetic at times, and this can generate an appropriate response!!

Best wishes and have a dram on me!!

Micric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    BoldHighlander,

No sweat old chap, I was always told I didn't pay attention at school as well!
    I think I can be a bit ascetic at times, and this can generate an appropriate response!!

Best wishes and have a dram on me!!

Micric.
    Same to ya' mate!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345