X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: funeral dress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funeral dress

im a girlie piper and i am playing at my fatherinlaws funeral and i only have full number ones my kilt is muted macfarlane as well do you think it would be ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming by "full number ones" you mean band uniform; doublet, piper's plaid, spats & hose tops; that would be fine. Hope your music will be a fitting memorial and a comfort for your family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by purewhite View Post
    im a girlie piper and i am playing at my fatherinlaws funeral and i only have full number ones my kilt is muted macfarlane as well do you think it would be ok?
    Why don't you just wear a dress, or suit--what you would normally wear to the funeral?

Please accept my condolances, too.

Best Regards,
    Sandford MacLean

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Why don't you just wear a dress, or suit--what you would normally wear to the funeral?

Please accept my condolances, too.

Best Regards,
    Sandford MacLean

I agree with Sandy. Since the loss is very close to you (your husband's father) I think it would be more appropriate to dress "normally" for the funeral. Also, I'm assuming that this is not a "Highland" funeral, and that no one else will be attired in a kilt.

I've piped for the prelude music at my church before and chose not to wear a kilt because I was worried that it would be interpreted an element of "performance/show" instead of a form of worship. Similarly, I worry that showing up in full piper's No. 1 dress would put the emphasis on you as a "performer", rather than communicating a solemn homage to your father-in-law.

I wish you and your family comfort in this hard time.

David
    Last edited by davidlpope; 27th May 10 at 06:32 AM.

toadinakilt
    Our condolences, madam.

Also, welcome to the Forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sandy and David. Forget about the uniform. Dress like yourself.
    Regards, Bill McCaughtry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you are piping at the funeral it would be appropriate to wear your No1 provided that you are going to be 'comfortable' in it. It might be convenient for you to change before the wake or other family gathering.

On the other hand I have recently seen a lady piping on her own wearing tartan slacks and a short black jacket which did not look out of place.

My condolence on your family's loss.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very difficult call. Both are right for the occasion, but there will always be someone who will not approve of your choice.

In the end funerals are not about the dead - they are about the living, the ones who are left behind. You are one of the ones who is mourning, so you should wear what is comfortable for you. Everybody else's opinion just does not matter.

Regards, condolences and Welcome to XMarks

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sandy and David on this one. I would opt for typical funeral attire, and not Highland attire (piper's uniform in this case). Please accept my deepest condolences.

Yours aye,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Even though I actually was going a funeral this afternoon, I didn't have really have a strong opinion on this, but the service I attended had a piper. The service was for a fellow I had not met, but my wife knew him well from her rodeo activities.

Since the crowd was mostly rodeo folks, I was a little surprized to see a piper there, but the deceased did have a Celtic surname. Since we were the only guys there in Highlandwear, and I didn't recognize him, I spoke to the guy afterwards. It turned out he was a family friend from out of state that played in a pipe band, and the family asked him to come play. He remarked on how proud he was to be asked.

He was not wearing "number ones" but I'm pretty sure it was his band 'uniform', black argyll and waistcoat, tie, brouges etc. I think the tartan was one of the purple and blue "Something of Scotland" tartans you see, but I did not grill him on his details. I'll say that he played well, and a lot of the folks there were complimentary of his contribution to the service.

Sorry about the long winded story, but I think Purewhite should go with what she feels. If she's playing to honor the deceased, and feels that her uniform is part of what she does, she should wear it with pride.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast