X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then follow it with James Leyburn's The Scotch-Irish: a social history, for a more scholarly (but readable) account. I know a lot of folks love Webb, but as a historian, I prefer Leyburn.
    I finished this book last night. I agree, it was very readable while being scholarly (full of footnotes and references). It was indeed a very balanced account of the Ulster Scots, and made some very convincing arguments against a lot of the mythology surrounding them. Thanks for recommending it!

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I finished this book last night. I agree, it was very readable while being scholarly (full of footnotes and references). It was indeed a very balanced account of the Ulster Scots, and made some very convincing arguments against a lot of the mythology surrounding them. Thanks for recommending it!
    You're most welcome!

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spin

I have enjoyed reading through this thread, I especially empathised with the poster who said it depends what Country you are in, and to what 'spin' you are taught in school.
    I was taught about the American Revolution, whilst my American wife very naturally was taught about the American war of Independence.
    I think the point I am trying to make, is to be aware that what you have always held to be sacrosanct might be viewed differently by someone else, so it is best to look beyond what you have been taught and research viewpoints from the Country of the people you are conversing with.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urchurdan View Post
    I have enjoyed reading through this thread, I especially empathised with the poster who said it depends what Country you are in, and to what 'spin' you are taught in school.
    I was taught about the American Revolution, whilst my American wife very naturally was taught about the American war of Independence.
    I think the point I am trying to make, is to be aware that what you have always held to be sacrosanct might be viewed differently by someone else, so it is best to look beyond what you have been taught and research viewpoints from the Country of the people you are conversing with.

That's certainly how I teach the Revolution in my classes -- from both sides.

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new book has turned up on Amazon.com: Legacy: The Scots Irish In America by Alister McReynolds. I'll get a copy during my next US visit, if of course they let me in, but has anyone here read this work yet?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678