X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran Strap????

I need some advice concerning my sporran. I recently purchased a nice Robertson ancient kilt from Paul, but wanted to do away with sporran chains. Is it acceptable to use just a black, leather sporran strap for dress occasions? My sporran is a dress one, so how would it look? Thanks!
    Den

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a plain leather strap works fine with formal or casual outfits. If you wanted to "jazz it" up a bit you could obtain a braided kilt belt with either flat or round braid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back leather fits with everything. I personally like the look of a sporran belt over chains, regardless, because I just don't like the glitzy, shiny look of chains.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    I think a plain leather strap works fine with formal or casual outfits. If you wanted to "jazz it" up a bit you could obtain a braided kilt belt with either flat or round braid.
    Sorry that should have been braided sporran belt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not like the chains that came with my sporran, so I went to the local Tandy leather shop and purchased the necessary parts to make myself a black leather sporran belt. It turned out rather nice, if I say so myself. Being my first leather project, I was rather pleased at the result. No more worries about the chains snagging the tartan either.

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the chains are a must with formal wear. I wear a strap the rest of the time.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although they are used for the same purpose, sporran chains and a sporran belt are really very different.

When wearing the chains, the belt they are on is fastened at the back. So if you want to move your sporran for dancing close, or sitting to eat or drive, or going to the toilet, then you have to try and feed the strap and buckle through the loops at the back - and then back again when the activity is done. Not an elegant procedure at the best of times and as it is done behind your back, it is all grope and fumble.

A sporran belt on the other hand can have the buckle on the front right hip. If you need to move the sporran, you just slide it to the left. Quicker and easier to do than it is to type and describe it. Activity finished - one easy and fluid movement and the sporran is back in place.

For this reason alone I have given up wearing chains and wear the sporran strap all the time.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could also take those wholly unnecessary belt loops off your kilt ...

Whether it's got chain, braided leather, or it's just a leather loop, it'll serve the same purpose, and look equally good as long as you pick your belt carefully. There are a few vendors here at XMarks that can provide a really nice belt, w/o chain or anything, in a few different colors.

This "move sporran for dancing close"...how close we talking? "Blues close", "ballroom close", or "leave room for Jesus close"? I'm asking out of a need for advice for the future...and any tips, pitfalls, or potential "clothing malfunctions" would be good to know about in advance, before finding out that there's such a thing as dancing too close in a kilt!

Oh, and...does the sporran always go to the left when dancing, or is that just a personal thing, or a convention dictated by the group or the dance or something?

-Sean
    Last edited by wildrover; 1st June 10 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think energetic movements in Scottish Country Dancing make it more comfortable to have the flapping sporran bang away at your hips rather than your...

it isn't necessary but some people do it. As for other dancing styles. If it gets in the way move it. If it isn't ever a problem, why bother?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple black leather belt from a department store will work perfectly well as a sporran strap. I have one that's black on one side and brown on the other, and the buckle can swivel to make the belt reversible. I think I paid $9 for it.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast