X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartans of Canada's Highland Regiments

I just picked up the latest issue of The Highlander magazine today (May/June 2010), and there is a nice little article on Canada's Highland Regiments.

There's a table in it listing the 'Canadian Regiments With a Scottish Affiliation' which lists the tartans worn by these regiments. I thought some of the rabble might find this of interest, so I'll post it here:

The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)

Tartan: Black Watch
    Headquarters: Hamilton, Ontario
    Raised: 1903

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada
    Headquarters: Montreal, Quebec
    Raised: 1862

The Calgary Highlanders
    Headquarters: Calgary, Alberta
    Raised: 1928

The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa
    Tartan: Cameron of Erracht
    Headquarters: Ottawa, Ontario
    Raised: 1885

The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada
    Tartan: Cameron of Erracht
    Headquarters: Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Raised: 1910

The Canadian Scottish
    Tartan: Hunting Stewart
    Headquarters: Victoria, British Columbia
    Raised: 1915

The Essex & Kent Scottish
    Tartan: Macgregor
    Headquarters: Winsdor, Ontario
    Raised: 1886

The 48th Highlanders of Canada
    Tartan: Davidson
    Headquarters: Toronto, Ontario
    Raised: 1891

The Highland Fusiliers of Canada
    Tartan: Mackenzie
    Headquarters: Cambridge, Ontario
    Raised: 1891

The Lake Superior Scottish
    Tartan: Macgillivray
    Headquarters: Port Arthur, Ontario
    Raised: 1910

The Lanark & Renfrew Scottish
    Headquarters: Pembroke, Ontario
    Raised: 1866

The Lorne Scottish (Peel, Dufferin & Halton) Regiment
    Tartan: Campbell of Argyll
    Headquarters: Brampton, Ontario
    Raised: 1866

The New Brunswick Scottish
    Tartan: Leslie (dress)
    Headquarters: St. John, New Brunswick
    Raised: 1871 (in 1954 merged with the Royal New Brunswick Regiment [Carlton & York])

The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North)
    Tartan: Macdonald
    Headquarters: Truro, Nova Scotia
    Raised: 1871

The Nova Scotia (Cape Breton) Highlanders
    Headquarters: Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Raised: 1881 (absorbed the Cape Breton Highlanders in 1954)

The Perth Regiment
    Tartan: Douglas
    Headquarters: Stratford, Ontario
    Raised: 1868

The Pictou Highlanders
    1954 merged with the Nova Scotia Highlanders (North)

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
    Tartan: Mackenzie
    Headquarters: Vancouver, British Columbia
    Raised: 1912

The Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders
    Tartan: Macdonell of Glengarry
    Headquarters: Cornwall, Ontario
    Raised: 1868

The Toronto Scottish
    Tartan: London Scottish
    Headquarters: Toronto, Ontario
    Raised: 1915
    Last edited by BoldHighlander; 30th May 10 at 05:11 PM.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that!

The only list I have is in Barnes, and it is quite outdated, from around 1954.

Our member JSFMACLJR mentioned the MacLean of Duart of the 236th OS Battalion CEF. I read the linked article and it appears that this unit never fought as a unit, but was broken up as drafts for other units when it reached France in March 1918.

I wonder how many other such short-lived Scottish units there have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Prince Edward Island Highlanders is another. This excerpt is from the National Defence website on Unit histories...

"Shortly after Prince Edward Island joined Confederation in 1873, the Canada Militia Act of 1875 reorganized all Militia units.
    The forerunner of The Prince Edward Island Regiment was born, under the name of 82nd Queens County Provisional Battalion of Infantry. This Regiment sent a contingent of volunteers to the Boer War in 1899, earning the Regiment's first Battle Honour, South Africa.
    The Prince Edward Island Regiment is a direct descendant of the Prince Edward Island Light Horse formed in 1901. During the Great War, the Prince Edward Island Light Horse helped to form part of the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF). An Infantry Battalion, the 105th Prince Edward Island Highlanders, CEF, was recruited from the 82nd Regiment. The 105th was broken up in order to provide reinforcements for other CEF battalions already at the front, primarily the 26th New Brunswick Battalion. First War Artillery units serving on the front recruited on Prince Edward Island were the 2nd Siege and the 8th Siege Batteries. First War battle honours earned by Islanders were Arras 1917, Amiens, and Pursuit to Mons.
    In 1921, The 82nd Regiment became known as The Prince Edward Island Regiment, and in 1927 they were converted to the Prince Edward Island Highlanders with a close affiliation to the Black Watch, of the British Army."

And this bit is from Wikipedia...

"The Prince Edward Island Highlanders were allied to the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) and were kitted as Black Watch except for badges. Officers wore grey Balmorals in Service Dress and Battle Dress."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kilties

Readers of this thread may find the following URL of interest.

www.clanmacleanatlantic.org/his-kilties.html

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks for that!

The only list I have is in Barnes, and it is quite outdated, from around 1954.

Our member JSFMACLJR mentioned the MacLean of Duart of the 236th OS Battalion CEF. I read the linked article and it appears that this unit never fought as a unit, but was broken up as drafts for other units when it reached France in March 1918.

I wonder how many other such short-lived Scottish units there have been.
    Information:

http://www.clanmacleanatlantic.org/his-kilties.html

T.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donsel View Post
    Readers of this thread may find the following URL of interest.

www.clanmacleanatlantic.org/his-kilties.html
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Thanks for the link gentlemen!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a similar thread I was asked to post photos of these regiments wearing their kilts. This I have done & thought I'd also post them here in case anyone misses it.

Of the regiments listed in the article in my original post, I'm missing 5 of them.
    They are:

The Lanark & Renfrew Scottish
    The New Brunswick Scottish
    The Perth Regiment
    The Pictou Highlanders
    The Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders

I believe that most of these 5 were deactivated some while back, though I do know that at least one (& I can't recall which) is now some sort of artillery unit.

I believe I have a WW1 era photo of the New Brunswick Scottish, I'll check my files tomorrow/ later in the day.

If anyone has a photo of a kilted uniformed member of one of the 5 missing units above, then please feel free to post it here. Thanks.

I've chosen to try to stay away from photos of pipers if at all possible & post the dress uniforms (w/ kilt) of the enlisted troops or officers.

I hope you all enjoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada

The Calgary Highlanders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa

The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada

The Canadian Scottish

The Essex & Kent Scottish

The 48th Highlanders of Canada

Last edited by BoldHighlander; 5th November 10 at 01:33 AM. Reason: corrected photo of the Essex & Kent Scottish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada

The Lake Superior Scottish

The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin & Halton) Regiment

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast