X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic Forum

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off Topic Forum

This might have been discussed earlier, but I have not found the conversation. I noticed there is no Off-topic conversation. There is the MISC FORUM, but it specifically states it has to be Kilt related conversation. Any reason as to why we don't have the off-topic forum anymore?

I would like to see it come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, last night I wanted to post a link to a new series on HBO starting next year but its not kilt related so I figured I better not discuss it in the Misc Forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * Never mind. It's been clarified.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 14th June 10 at 04:58 PM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite simply Brice. Because this is a Kilt Forum. It has a very narrow scope and topic of discussion.

There are thousands of forums out there on the web. They cover every subject imaginable. Anyone who wishes to discuss something can probably find a forum out there that has that subject as their scope.

This forum has never been, was not originally designed to be, nor will it ever be capable of becoming the one and only forum on the web. It was designed to be one that filled a small niche in the world.

If someone wishes to talk about Kilts then this forum is available.

Since its beginnings over seven years ago this forum has become the largest, most active forum on the topic of The Kilt. But we are still just a Kilt forum.

Over the years we have gradually expanded the forum to include sections which, while not specifically about the garment The Kilt, are related or pertinent to a fuller appreciation and understanding of what is behind the wearing of The Kilt.

Granted, not everyone will find this forum to their liking. Some have joined and never made a post. Some have joined and left. This is a reality of on-line forums.

Because we are a Kilt Forum we limit discussions here to our chosen subject. Many of our members belong to many forums. When they wish to discuss Kilts they come to this forum. When they wish to discuss other topics they go the another forum. This is another reality of on-line forums.

When we were a small forum with less than five thousand members we could have a place where members could briefly let other members know about other topics that may interest them. This was the original intent of the Off Topic section. The Off Topic section was never intended to be a place where every topic under the sun could be discussed at length and ad nauseum.

The abuses of the Off Topic section over the years have led to many heated discussions and many disagreements. It has cause so much hurt and discontent that it was no longer serving the purpose for which it was originally designed.

I can only say that this forum will always stay true to the original intent of Hank. It will remain one where those wishing to discuss The Kilt can find a pleasant and informative place to do so.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 14th June 10 at 05:00 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do agree that I have many forums that I frequent, this is the only one where I feel there is a "family and friends" type of atmosphere, therefore I wouldnt mind posting things about my life, interests, and other various thing every once in a while in the off topic forum. I think it was useful. For example, when I went to intern in D.C. I asked about dress clothing for the office. I didnt wear my kilt, thus it was not a kilt related question, but many people on this forum are older and wiser about such things than I and gave me valuable input.

And as far as peoples feelings being hurt, it is the job of the moderators and members of the board to recoginze threads that are moving out of line and close them. I thought that was the way things ran here. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you. I have already received a permanent red card for infringements by going off-topic too often, among other faults. Much as I like the kilts etc etc, I also wish to blether with people I know here about this n‘ that and also take part in off-topic discussions which are not harmful to member relationships. Yes, as a result, due to the advice out spread out to other sites, I am now a member of other Scottish website forums (not especially kilt-related), but I believe no-one here is on these sites and the turn-around on posts is very slow. The fact is, I really like the people on this site and would love to talk about other things with them and interact more.

In late May, a post of mine was refused (I need pre-post approval each time nowadays) which honoured a family friend’s brother who died as a Royal Marine gun-crew on board HMS Hood on May 24, 1941 during which 1,415 crew died out of a compliment of 1,418. Though the Mods said it was a sad but excellent and informative post, they could not let it through as it was too much off topic.

I appreciate the main focus of this site, but I too would welcome a chance to discuss and learn other things.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berserkbishop View Post
    And as far as peoples feelings being hurt, it is the job of the moderators and members of the board to recoginze threads that are moving out of line and close them. I thought that was the way things ran here. . .
    I would hope that unless a thread got real ugly & quickly out of control, that the mod's would issue a warning before arbitrarily closing them.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Semiomniscient is offline Membership voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kind of puts a damper on the whole community aspect. I guess the bigger a city gets, the less you might get to know your neighbors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to agree with Steve - this isn't Twitter it is a kilt forum. It states so quite clearly at the top:

Miscellaneous Forum - The Place for discussions that don't fit any other forum category. (Please remember that the topic of this forum is Kilts. Discussions which go off on a tangent or put the stress on topics other than the Kilt are subject to being closed.)
    We have fora for the kilt and everything surrounding it; all things Scottish, including food, drink, history, heritage, weather and current affairs; all things Celtic and what an enormous expanse of various topics that is.

But still people want to talk about their dead dog, or cat, or bird, or reptile. They seek advice about (non-kilting) work relationships. They want us to grieve with them for a relative who never expressed any interest in their own Scottish heritage or any aspect of kilt wearing.

I have no wish to sound insensitive or uncaring, because that is not the truth. I do care, but I cannot and will not care for every person and every animal in the world - that way lies madness.

If members require a daily weather report from the highlands or an up-to-date midge alert, then I am sure that can be accommodated.

As I have said, this is a kilt forum and the topic is kilts. We have enough 'off-topic' areas already without without flinging the door open to every topic under the sun.

Regards

Chas

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post

But still people want to talk about their dead dog, or cat, or bird, or reptile. They seek advice about (non-kilting) work relationships. They want us to grieve with them for a relative who never expressed any interest in their own Scottish heritage or any aspect of kilt wearing.

I have no wish to sound insensitive or uncaring, because that is not the truth. I do care, but I cannot and will not care for every person and every animal in the world - that way lies madness.

As I have said, this is a kilt forum and the topic is kilts. We have enough 'off-topic' areas already without without flinging the door open to every topic under the sun.

Regards

Chas
    First, if you don't want to know about the off-topic stuff then I have small suggestion: Don't read it. But obviously, you don't have to because there is no off topic areas in here. When you say we already have enough off topic areas, I am not sure I understand you. I am not sure you understood Steve and his explanation. This forum DOES NOT have off-topic conversation (at least that is what I gather). Unless it is related to kilt wearing, I suppose you are not suppose to mention it.

That is fine with me. It was just nice to be able to mention something besides kilts. It was also nice to pose questions of varying topics, as I am sure there are no professional kilt wearers here (Most have other jobs/hobbies they participate in). I will do as Steve asked. Not post my questions here and look for a place where it is acceptable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast