X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question of proper Etiquette

Can I wear a regular tuxedo jacket with my kilt or do i have to purchase a "Prince Charley or highland gentleman" style jacket. There are times when I am expected to be more formal but at the same time I would like to be frugal.
    Last edited by 1mason; 15th June 10 at 11:49 AM. Reason: gramatical error

toadinakilt
    Unfortunately, a regualr tux jacket will fit very poorly with a kilt. There's a reason for the cutaways on a PC and Argyle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frugal

A regular tux jacket is too long to wear with a kilt - it would look rather odd. BUT, I have known people to purchase a simple single button tux jacket (and sport coats for that matter) at a consignment or goodwill shop and have it "cut away" to the proper length by a good tailor, all rather inexpensively. They ended up looking pretty good as well. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that any common tuxedo jacket for wear with trousers will be too long to look its best with a kilt.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In truth a "normal"(regular) jacket looks awful when worn with the kilt , they are too long. A kilt jacket is cut specifically to be worn with the kilt so that the sporran is shown to best advantage and the kilt pleats are allowed to swing freely.

The best compromise kilt jacket is the black barathea silver buttoned Argyle with TWO waist coats. One with 5 buttons for day wear and one with three buttons to be worn for formal black tie events.

The Argyll jacket with 5 button waistcoat is really formal day wear attire, but a modern trend that is creeping in (and it works) is to use the Argyll, with a 3 buttoned waistcoat, for formal black tie events too.

For ultra formal events then it may be wise to consider more formal jackets, but the Argyll as described above will get you by, very well.

OH and welcome from Inverness-shire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    The best compromise kilt jacket is the black barathea silver buttoned Argyle with TWO waist coats. One with 5 buttons for day wear and one with three buttons to be worn for formal black tie events.

The Argyll jacket with 5 button waistcoat is really formal day wear attire, but a modern trend that is creeping in (and it works) is to use the Argyll, with a 3 buttoned waistcoat, for formal black tie events too.
    What do we think of PC jackets with 5 button waistcoats? I've seen some pics like this.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    What do we think of PC jackets with 5 button waistcoats? I've seen some pics like this.

I can't speak for others, but I am not a fan of the PC (every one seems to have one and there are far better alternatives), but if one is to be worn, then a low cut three button waist coat , with a white shirt and black tie(bow) is the way to show it off and yourself, to best advantage.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a "Prince Charlie" that I had cut down from a formal tail coat. It takes a minimum of tailoring, and only the buttons cost much of anything.

You can purchase a used tail coat from several sites on the internet at a very modest cost; it just takes some looking. Of course, you can pull of the same thing with a black jacket from a suit or tux if you can find one that is very plain. A tailor can easily cut it down for use with a kilt.

But as Jock pointed out, a black barathea argyl may be a better alternative to a PC as it can do double duty. It all depends on your own taste, your needs, and your purse.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of web sites where you can buy a cheap tuxedo jacket to have cut down. Using a tux jacket gives you the advantage of satin lapels if you are really looking for a contemporary formal look. Look for something with one or two buttons and no outside pockets, if possible.