X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regency era Highland attire

I am attending a Regency ball sometime soon and I would like to be dressed appropriately to the occasion (in a kilt of course.)

The Regency era was the early 1800's so this would be the time after the proscription was repealed but before Sir Walter Scott's Victorian revival.

I am making a box pleated kilt which will close using buttons on the apron edge vs buckles.

My inspiration was these pictures.

I am looking for advice regarding waistcoat and jacket styles and I'm hoping to have a pair of diced hose done by then. Would the look shown above be workable? (with different hose of course...)

If not, does anyone have any good visual links or perhaps a pattern or two to go with them that could aid me? I am thinking because I don't have extra tartan for a plaid or fake belted plaid look I would lean towards the classic dark jacket and light waistcoat in simple fabrics but tailored nicely with a white cravat.

I am thinking I would go with the straight bottomed waistcoat I am mostly looking for lapel and neck opening guidelines as well as ideas for the cut of the jacket.

I have done a fair bit of tailoring and can make most things.
    Last edited by Hothir Ethelnor; 19th June 10 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished garments here:

http://www.thequartermastergeneral.c...egory=19_cloth

The waistcoats can be worn as is. The outer coat would be constructed along the same pattern as the frock coat, but only hip length to be Highland style.

Patterns here:

https://www.reconstructinghistory.co...d=121&w=24&r=Y
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expert Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hothir Ethelnor View Post

The jacket is way too short, and the belt low enough to look like it belongs on a Hollywood gunslinger, rather than a Regency Dandy! Follow Woodsheal's advice to the letter (he's the man in this department) and you will look smashing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good starting point (sorry the pic is smal):

Last edited by JSFMACLJR; 19th June 10 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. So, for the coat (since I seem to be on the right track with the waistcoat) I am trying to find a workable length of cut-away and tail so that the kilt is not interfered with.

I found the following image.

This looks a bit informal though not necessarily the stuff of balls.

Do you think it would be better to go with the closed single or double breasted jacket? or to spring off the image of the fellow in a tartan jacket that JSFMACLJR posted and cut it so the jacket falls open in front?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with double-breasted, worn open to show the waistcoat for evening "dress" affairs. Double-breasted coats would be buttoned across for outdoors "day wear" activities: shooting, riding, walking about town and country....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothir Ethelnor View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So, for the coat (since I seem to be on the right track with the waistcoat) I am trying to find a workable length of cut-away and tail so that the kilt is not interfered with.

I found the following image.

This looks a bit informal though not necessarily the stuff of balls.

Do you think it would be better to go with the closed single or double breasted jacket? or to spring off the image of the fellow in a tartan jacket that JSFMACLJR posted and cut it so the jacket falls open in front?
    This image looks like strictly "sporting" garb to me. The dress coat pattern on the Reconstructing History page is probably your best bet, modified to go with the kilt, or even a belted plaid if you really want to be impressive!
    Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of pictures from the Highland Folk Museum in Kingussie. The kilt and jacket are from around 1800.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting.

I might base it off of that although I can't make it out of tartan. I think I like the more open style with a wide lapel. I might make the collar twice as tall and fold it down.

If I do it like that, I will make it single breasted so that it can be buttoned but need not always be so.

It looks as if the front of the jacket is one piece on each side with the dart behind the shoulder rather than in front like modern jackets. (judging from the uninterrupted tartan pattern.)

Keep the suggestions coming and I'll get started on a waistcoat.

Thanks guys for the input so far. I'll be sure to post pics after the event. Unfortunately I found that it's a Regency "option" ball where we will be doing English country dancing and perhaps a Scottish dance or two. I am guessing that beyond some of the ladies, the hosts and myself many of the guests may be in modern clothing. ('sigh')

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also want to take note of the cloth covered buttons...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast