X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Thanks for all the detail on the construction process. I'm working on my first sporran right now. That thing is beautiful! As are your others. Hope mine turns out half as well. I'm now having to go it alone, so I have to teach myself that braided stitch. Any suggestions or tutorials?
    HERE is a good website that will give you the basics.

For a single width of leather, you can get away with a single or double loop braid (which is linked to on the bottom left of this page). I like the triple loop, which will cover the thickness of a 5-6oz veg tan plus a 4oz chrome tanned face (which is what BoldHighlander's has).

A few other tips;
    1) get a good flat-nosed pliers to help fish the lacing needle through. You don't need special ones from a leather craft store, anything from a DIY store will suffice.

2) Use a lacing fid, or something similar.

This will help you keep the braid tight and straight.

3) DON'T assume the braid will simply lay where you want it. I make sure the lie of each wrap is exactly where I want as I tighten individual loops. Otherwise loops can drift a bit depending on tightness and the underlying work. It's a TON easier to get it right the first time than it is to try and fish back through 3-5" of already set lacing.

4) Good quality lace- A good top grain lace is WORLDS better than something with a vinyl face or worse. Good lace is expensive, with good reason. It's better to work, lays better, and has a much cleaner edge than cheaper lace. It's also important that the 'invisible joints' used when they make laces don't split while you're working.

50 yards of lace can easily go for $30-40. 50yds sounds like a lot, but you use a LOT more than you think you will. For a triple braid I usually calculate 8 times the measured distance of the edge you're lacing for material usage. A day sporran like #6 will take just over 4 yards.

5) Practice piece. I cannot stress this enough.

When making big changes to thickness, material or shape, make a sample edge a few inches long. 'Waste' a few feet of lace to make sure your distance from the edge, braid pattern, and lace spacing/thickness will all work.

It sure beats having to scrap a project after it's punched, dyed, glued, etc, etc, just because the final lacing detail looks bad.

Also, post pix

Shoot me a PM if I can help out more.
    Last edited by artificer; 23rd July 10 at 09:31 AM. Reason: additional info

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Artificer. Practice pieces are a deffinate must. I was recieving instruction from a good friend of mine, and that was the first thing he told me- keep all of your scrap so you can practice! Thanks for that link. I'll PM you for sure if I need more help (meaning can't get it on my own!! )
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Artificer. Practice pieces are a deffinate must. I was recieving instruction from a good friend of mine, and that was the first thing he told me- keep all of your scrap so you can practice! Thanks for that link. I'll PM you for sure if I need more help (meaning can't get it on my own!! )
    You're welcome.

And that was excellent advice from your friend... I too have a big pile of scrap that ALWAYS manages to come in handy for testing dyes, spacing on lace/thread... almost anything. Good luck, post pix!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    You're welcome.

And that was excellent advice from your friend... I too have a big pile of scrap that ALWAYS manages to come in handy for testing dyes, spacing on lace/thread... almost anything. Good luck, post pix!
    Here's a link to my FaceBook gallery, if you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...&id=1344395918

I don't have very much done as yet. I'm just really getting started and he was starting me out simple- baby steps and all that.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Artificer that #6 sporran is simply gorgeous!

There's nothing classier, in my opinion, than a plain sporran that shows superb craftsmanship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with OC. In fact I couldn't agree more. Beautiful... Out of interest, how much would one of those (to the same spec) be a costin'? (If it's not a rude question...)
    Last edited by English Bloke; 1st August 10 at 07:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to my FaceBook gallery, if you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...&id=1344395918

I don't have very much done as yet. I'm just really getting started and he was starting me out simple- baby steps and all that.
    Unfortunately, I'm not on facebook, so I cannot see them. Keep us posted with your progress though.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Artificer that #6 sporran is simply gorgeous!

There's nothing classier, in my opinion, than a plain sporran that shows superb craftsmanship.
    Thanks Richard! I agree that there is something very classic about the plain day bag.

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    I agree with OC. In fact I couldn't agree more. Beautiful... Out of interest, how much would one of those (to the same spec) be a costin'? (If it's not a rude question...)
    Thanks John, PM sent with some details (and no, it's never rude to inquire about a craftsman's work)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123