X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Stone Mountain once back in 1996 and I really enjoyed it.

It's so very interesting for a West Coast Highland Games veteran to see how differently things are done back East.

About the OP's issues with trying to match up the information that the Games people provide with information available online, I've run into that several times with various Games out here.

Thing is, Games websites tend to be run by people who have been going to those Games for years, local people. The trouble comes when:

1) they continue to use the old name for a venue, the name of which has been changed at some point. Sure, all the locals still call it by the old name, but only the new name shows up on maps, Google, etc.

2) they use a name for a venue which has never been the official name, but rather a local nickname or some such. This local name likewise doesn't appear on maps, Google, etc.

With one local Games here, not only did the Games website call the Park the Games was always held at by the wrong name (a local nickname which did not appear on any map) but the address given for the Park's location was actually the address of the offices of the local Parks and Recreation Department, downtown, miles away from the park itself!

Both problems had gone unnoticed for years because the same locals went to the Games every year and no one had ever checked the website information for accuracy.

I alerted the organisers about it but I don't know if they ever did anything. It wasn't a problem in their eyes.

Another local Games likewise stated that their Games were held at such-and-such a park, Googling it revealing that no such-named park existed.

Turns out that it's a huge park, which is called one name on all the maps, but locals have different local nicknames for the various sections of the park, which do not appear on any map. It's one of these local names that appeared on all the Games literature and on their website.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will certainly be there again this year. I will spend some time at the Campbell tent but the rest of my time will be visiting and shopping.

We will be reserving our camp-site this week. I have been going to these games since 1982 and they have changed a bit. I so miss the Tattoo but still love the games.
    Loyalty, Friendship, and Love....The Definition of family.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our campground reservations in since last year

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please ignore previous message

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh......My home town games! AND I'm also a SMHG tattoo veteran 3 times!

Strange though on a sad note. The 80's and 90's were absolute the height of times for these games. I went 2 years ago and was shocked to notice the downsize in bands and people.....Oh well, ups and downs i guess.

ALSO-Some advice for some of you who will be traveling and staying close to the games. Stone Mountain and Snellville aren't the greatest of places neighborhood wise (Not so much Snellville). If you are staying in Stone Mountain, DO NOT STAY AT ANY HOTEL ON MEMORIAL Dr. . My advice is to stay in the little town in decatur which is about 15 miles away, but a straight shot to the park. Decatur is (Where I actually grew up) is a cross between Mayberry and Berkeley and is really nice. There is an unusually nice Holiday in in the Decatur downtown square that would be perfect for anyone traveling. lots of food / bar (Eddies attic is 2 blocks away from the H.I.-This is where john mayer was door man and got his start singing....not that that matters.)

Anyway-Enjoy the games-It will be beautiful that time of year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be there for sure again this year, it is my most favorite games. Are we having our usual meet up on Friday nite at the German Restaurant in Stone Mountain proper? It was a grand time last year
    and I think we should start planning it again for this year.

I for one am looking forward to seeing lots of ol friends and new ones too!
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NorCalPiper. I too grew up in the Decatur area. (Shamrock High) Anyway. I look forward to the games. I agree Decatur is a good place to stay and offers easy access to the park.

JolyStNicholas: I'm game for a kilted night at the German restaurant. Any other interested, let us know.

Leprechaun-91 :dands1:
    Loyalty, Friendship, and Love....The Definition of family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we did the pub in Conyers on Friday and the German place on Saturday? Either way I'm looking forward to being back and seeing everyone again.
    Sapienter si sincereClan Davidson (USA)
    Bydand Do well and let them say...GORDON!My Blog
    "I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen." -Swingers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

small world department

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun-91 View Post
    NorCalPiper. I too grew up in the Decatur area. (Shamrock High) Anyway. I look forward to the games. I agree Decatur is a good place to stay and offers easy access to the park.
    Wow, Shamrock High... haven't heard that name in a while. I graduated from Druid Hills. Small world for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Friday and Saturday schedual sounds right to me. We had a grand time at each last year and I hope we can have the same this year. Looking forward to it fer sure!
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast