X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Hamish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Proffitt View Post
    You ought to see Hamish do a roundhouse kick to a bikers face when he's wearing his Buchanan Weathered.
    And yet he is classy enough that while this manuever is executed, "the question" still remains unanswered.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't possibly say it better than all of you have, so I won't even try. Hamish is truly a legend.
    The fear o' hell's the hangman's whip To laud the wretch in order; But where ye feel your honor grip, Let that aye be your border. - Robert Burns

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case anyone was wondering after having read Steve Ashton's bio of Hamish on page 1, Steve also has a part-time gig as Kim Jong Il's own, personal biographer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish Bicknell is The Stig's idol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treat yourself, go to community, then Hamish, then all posts started by Hamish.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 19th July 10 at 09:11 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh?...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, more detailed. If you want to get to know Hamish better then click on the community link at the top of this webpage.

Then click on the letter H for Hamish and go to his listing. If you open up his profile there will be another tab called statistics (I think) If you click on that it will offer a choice of "all posts started by Hamish" Click on that and you'll get a list of those posts from the most recent backwards.

Reading Ham's posts is a good way to get to know the man for those who haven't already gotten to know him over the years.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He speaks fluent Russian, in French.

He once fought a bull, just to see the expression on it's face.

He is the life of parties that he has never attended.

If he were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off the strong urge to thank him.

Sharks have a week dedicated to him.

He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does.........

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eeeeeek! Steve, what a eulogy! I'm not dead yet, my friend ........... but, I will let you know when I am! ;-)

To answer your original question, Jeremy, I am just a chap who likes to wear the kilt in virtually all its forms: formally traditional, outwardly contemporary and every stage in between. From 1951 to 1999 I looked upon it as nothing more than a 'costume' to wear whilst enjoying my Scottish Country Dance and Highland Dance pursuits. Then, having retired, I began to wear it at other times and very soon came to appreciate the comfort, freedom and yes, admiring glances it generated. Wearing my one and only kilt with greater frequency was not entirely practical or adviseable and I soon had three or four to my name. The new and exciting less formal TFCKs came to my attention, as did the utterly casual American Utilikilts, and I was hooked! The Kollection was never planned; I simply never disposed of any older kilts as new ones were acquired. More kilts meant more accessories - shirts, jackets. hose, flashes, neck-ties, shoes/boots, sporrans and belts were required if smart turn-outs were to be maintained, and I am a firm believer in looking my best when out and about! This is particularly important when one dresses in a manner considered to be outside the box - look smart and you and your kilt will be treated with respect and often complimented; look untidy or a mess and you are both likely to attract disrespect or even abuse.

And there you have it. Over the past eleven years my passion for The Kilt has steadily increased, although the rate of acquisition has slowed somewhat in the past year or so for a number of reasons. Now, both of the two 'Kilt No.100' are about to arrive - yes, some of my kilted brethren may have forgotten that, originally, two of my most respected kiltmakers practically begged to make this significant garment. It was unfair and indeed impossible for me to choose one over the other, and so I announced that there would be two kilts in the 100th place - the traditional from Barb Tewksbury in a unique tartan designed by Rocky at USA Kilts, and the contemporary from Howie Nicholsby at TFCK in a gorgeous Ardalanish organic tweed from the Isle of Mull. Both have been completed and I hope to have them photographed and documented before I am whisked away for some necessary surgery in a few weeks' time.

Take care,
    Ham.
    Last edited by Hamish; 24th July 10 at 10:50 AM.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast