X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamish Centennial Kilt Installment #4

Ok lads and lassies! Here's the final installment of pics of the construction of Hamish's kilt. You'll notice a big change in climate after the first couple of photos....

At our tent camp at Skaftafell - the white line in the middle distance is the glacier at Skaftafell:

Putting on the loops (yes, Hamish likes loops...) in the bus as the Iceland countryside zooms by:

Pressing the kilt - only one layer of clothing on, instead of the typical 5 layers of clothes in Iceland......

and a fun pressing picture by Dave:

More in the next post!
    Last edited by Barb T; 20th July 10 at 05:41 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then Robert Pel's (R Kilts) fabulous buckles and straps.

Scoring and punching the straps:

Putting on the buckles:

and the straps:

Working at the EUSPBA championship last weekend at Glasgowlands between competitions (yeh, it was hot last weekend):

And yes, Ken, that's your kilt in the background!!!

No table, but my pipe case worked for a flat surface for basting the lining:

And very nearly done!!!!

Hamish - it's coming your way late tomorrow or Thursday morning!!!!
    Last edited by Barb T; 20th July 10 at 05:44 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb - the kilt looks great and like many, I have enjoyed seeing the photos of progress. But now will we be subjected to "reruns" (having to read these over and over again)? Or will you be posting your next project? Inquiring minds would like to know!!! Who will it be for? What will the tartan be?? Where will you be during the construction??? Don't stop the series!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Barb, your pictorial has certainly opened my eyes on the construction of a kilt and on such a special one as this. Thankyou

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLHS209 View Post
    Barb - the kilt looks great and like many, I have enjoyed seeing the photos of progress. But now will we be subjected to "reruns" (having to read these over and over again)? Or will you be posting your next project? Inquiring minds would like to know!!! Who will it be for? What will the tartan be?? Where will you be during the construction??? Don't stop the series!!!
    Here, Here! And with newer and more dangerous locations! I want to see Barb ascending the very face of Everest and kilt making at their night camp! Barb on exploration to find the source of the nile and pressing pleats on a makeshift table in full mosquito netting...

Barb, don't leave us stranded. We want more. I won't even ask for you to make a kilt while on a shark dive (although it would be an amazing feat.)

I've greatly enjoyed these threads and can't wait to see #100 on our Hamish.

Thank you again, Barb, for documenting this wonderful garments construction. It's funny, the kilt's been 1/4 of the way around the world before it was even finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleat pressing

Very nice Barb!

I agree with the previous post, a periodic kilt pictorial would be great if you had the time and inclination!! (actually taking us along on ever kilt would be preferred by most, but I don't want to get greedy)

I do have an observation and question that may be helpful to newbies like myself. You appear to be pressing the pleats directly on the fabric with a traditional iron. I have been told NEVER iron directly on your kilt. Could you clarify for us what we are seeing in the photo so as not to ruin a wonderful kilt?

Thanks again for the info and the wonderful photos! I look forward to the next one!

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

What a wonderful series Barb!

Can you imagine what a kilt passport would look like before it even reached Hamish?!

Now you've got me thinking....wouldn't it be cool to see other kiltmakers at work? I have a 4yd box pleat Newsome I'm waiting on. Let's see....here's Matt pinning pleats at Grandfather Mountain...here's Matt sewing the pleats at the top of King's Mountain...here's Matt adding buckles & straps out back by the chicken coop!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best documented making of kilt I have ever seen.

But it deserves to be for a deserving recipient!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan's son View Post
    You appear to be pressing the pleats directly on the fabric with a traditional iron. I have been told NEVER iron directly on your kilt. Could you clarify for us what we are seeing in the photo so as not to ruin a wonderful kilt?
    After visiting the Wizard at Freedom Kilts a couple of years ago, I hustled home and bought myself a professional pressing system like the ones that he has. The iron has a teflon sole plate cover that lets you press directly on wool without a press cloth. Although the pressing system was expensive, I've saved its cost many times over. I can press a kilt in 1/3 the time that it used to take me, I can actually see what I'm doing, and the quality of the press is much better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast