X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Great great Uncles gravesite

My Great Great Uncle, William S. White fought in the American Civil War. He served with the 20th Virginia Cavalry fighting under Jubal Early, participating in the last Confederate invasion of the North in July of 1864. He was 17 years old when he joined.
    During the battle of Fort Stevens his A Company was selected as the rearguard and fought a nasty action against Federal Cavalry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Stevens

During this action he was shot in the head, captured and sent to Elmira Prison Camp in New York state.

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc12/elmira1.htm

On October 2, 1864 he died of typhoid fever at the age of 18. I finally have a photograph of his grave site.
    Clan Lamont!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding a tangible piece of family history is always exciting.

Good job...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on finding your great-great uncle. My great-great-grandfather was shot in the leg and captured in Newton County Missouri. The Union doctors cut off his leg and saved his life. I have a description of his grave location and would like to find it someday. Peg-Leg McElmurry is his name.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great-great grandfather Norman Nelson Blake was with the 136th Ohio Infantry defending Washington D.C. against your great-great uncle and Jubal Early. He was stationed with the Northern Defenses of Washington - Ft. Ellsworth, near Ft. Stevens.
    He was 32 yo. He enlisted after serving as a "Squirrel Hunter" defending against Morgan's raid through Ohio.

Small world. And, as mentioned, neat to have the location and photo.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    My great-great grandfather Norman Nelson Blake was with the 136th Ohio Infantry defending Washington D.C. against your great-great uncle and Jubal Early. He was stationed with the Northern Defenses of Washington - Ft. Ellsworth, near Ft. Stevens.
    He was 32 yo. He enlisted after serving as a "Squirrel Hunter" defending against Morgan's raid through Ohio.

Small world. And, as mentioned, neat to have the location and photo.
    Small world indeed Ron... seems your ancestor "ran into" mine on at least two occasions

I had a number of Scobee, Dooley & Grimes kin riding under John Hunt Morgan's banner during the Great Ohio Raid in the 8th Kentucky & 9th Kentucky cavalry regts, & the 10th Kentucky Partisan Rangers.
    All but one got away to fight another day (the one, "Cuff" Grimes, was captured at Buffington Island).

I also had a Moore, with the 22nd VA Cavalry, who participated in Early's Raid towards Washington & subsequent burning of Chambersburg.

Yep, small world
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

cormacmacguardhe is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Great-grandfather was in the 5th New York cavalry and fought at Gettysburg after which he was a member of a guard for President Lincoln. There is a diary of his time during the war which mentions this period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Great find!

Small world indeed Ron... seems your ancestor "ran into" mine on at least two occasions

I had a number of Scobee, Dooley & Grimes kin riding under John Hunt Morgan's banner during the Great Ohio Raid in the 8th Kentucky & 9th Kentucky cavalry regts, & the 10th Kentucky Partisan Rangers.
    :
    My g-g grandfather Thomas Jefferson Stith faught with Morgan as well, as did his brothers. Thomas was an officer in the 1st Kentucky Brigade, and later served in the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry. The Stiths lived near Brandenburg, Kentucky ( in Meade County ), just 30 miles or so from where I live. There is an historical marker in Brandenburg noting the site of one of Gen. Morgan's raids across the river into Indiana.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    My g-g grandfather Thomas Jefferson Stith faught with Morgan as well, as did his brothers. Thomas was an officer in the 1st Kentucky Brigade, and later served in the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry. The Stiths lived near Brandenburg, Kentucky ( in Meade County ), just 30 miles or so from where I live. There is an historical marker in Brandenburg noting the site of one of Gen. Morgan's raids across the river into Indiana.
    Another Alligator Horse!

One of the guys I use to reenact with (in the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry) was on a business trip in Kentucky, and he made a point to visit some of the sites related to Morgan. I recall, Sandy, that he showed me a photo of the historical marker you mention!

I also had some kin with the 3rd Btn KY Mounted Rifles under Morgan, but this was in 1864, after the Ohio Raid.

(....there were also a few from my mother's side out of SW Virginia with the Stonewall Brigade, & out in Missouri under Quantrill's black flag....but that is another story ).
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]