X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamish Centennial Kilt Installment #5

Final installment, because I mailed the kilt yesterday.

The finished kilt:

Adding the kilt passport and the official certificate from the Tartans Register:

And at the post office!

It's been a fun ride!!
    Last edited by Barb T; 25th July 10 at 10:13 AM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Barb and I hope you don't, actually I am pretty sure you won't, mind me saying; "well done to one and all who have been involved with this wonderful project". To let us all view the various processes of THE kilt coming together has been and education to me and no doubt, all of us sitting on the sidelines, a privileged place to be I might add.

Over to you Hamish!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb, thanks for sharing the photos of the work in progress. Now that the tartan has been designed, the kilt constructed, and the parcel posted, the next step is for a modeling of the pleats at that most famous of sundials.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the next step is for a modeling of the pleats at that most famous of sundials.
    I am very much looking forward to that!!!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

What a wonderful journey you have taken us on Barb! Thank you to you & all the other hands involved in bringing this priceless piece of history to life (& sharing it's creation with us all)!

Thank you!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simply gorgeous!

His Kiltedness (Hamish) is a very lucky man to be receiving such a wonderful piece.

I am anxiously awaiting the now requisite "Hamish Pleat Shot" against the backdrop of his verdant garden.

Congratulations to all who contributed materials and skill to this work of art.

BTW: Barb, I still want to see pix of you making a kilt @ a base camp on the slopes of Everest or perhaps on the glaciers of Antarctica...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the others have said, thank you very much for sharing the adventure of Hamish's kilt. As I "jokingly" said before, I am looking forward to the next installment (season?).

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb,

I was speechless previously; I still am and am likely to be thus afflicted for a very long time to come!

Here at Bicknell Grange, I am camping out just inside the portcullis to make certain the delivery is not missed - even the most reliable of one's employees are liable to let one down at such a crucial time. One is thinking particularly of Old S-----m, one's faithful, wrinkled and past it retainer, who will probably be suffering from over-indulgence down in one's wine cellar ......... that's where he is usually to be found!

I just pray that our Customs people do not hold on to the package longer than is absolutely necessary. Rest assured that photographic evidence of it having been received at Bicknell Grange will be provided without delay.

'Thank you' from one very grateful and humble kilt wearer.

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Barb,

I was speechless previously; I still am and am likely to be thus afflicted for a very long time to come!

Here at Bicknell Grange, I am camping out just inside the portcullis to make certain the delivery is not missed - even the most reliable of one's employees are liable to let one down at such a crucial time. One is thinking particularly of Old S-----m, one's faithful, wrinkled and past it retainer, who will probably be suffering from over-indulgence down in one's wine cellar ......... that's where he is usually to be found!

I just pray that our Customs people do not hold on to the package longer than is absolutely necessary. Rest assured that photographic evidence of it having been received at Bicknell Grange will be provided without delay.

'Thank you' from one very grateful and humble kilt wearer.

Take care,
    Ham.
    It is episodes such as this one, and the broad based participation in the effort, that make me proud to be an XMarker. Best wishes to you Hamish, and congratulations to you Barb, and to everyone else involved: congratulations on your wonderful gift to Hamish, and congratulations on your community building and community ethos. You are all very, very good friends to one another, and it is a privilege to be any part of it at all. Thank you all. Cheers!
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is one kilt that would make anyone proud to own. I applaud your skill Barb and I'm sure Hamish can't wait to get it.